 General / 48922
Re: The most valuable Lego sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 02:42:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In my upcoming Lego CD I mention what I consider to be the most valuable Lego
sets.  Until recently most AFOLs probably thought that the #398 USS
Constellation was the most valuable Lego set.
I am not a collector, but I assumed that 1593, the space-themed 'Super Model'
released in 1983, was the most valuable. BrickLink has sold one MISB for $1780,
and currently has one listed used for $1500. I recall one selling on eBay for
over $2500. I wonder if anyone skilled at data-mining could determine the most a
set (or part) has sold for on BrickLink?

Cary

I haven't seen a MISB 1593 listed at that other auction site yet, but an unboxed
model went for 64.00 USD midway through August.  Granted that was without box,
but still... subtract the sell price of the used set (64.00) from the 1500.00
that a used w/box is selling and that would put the price of the box at about
1440.00!  That's a little tough to believe.

Kinda unrelated, but unboxed 858/8858s routinely sell for 100.00 - 125.00, and a
used w/box version went for upwards of 300.00 earlier this year.  That's over
1.00-an-element for a set whose 240 parts can easily be collected individually
for 15.00 off BrickLink.  And people still bid on them.

You'd figure anyone obsessed enough to lay out 100.00+ for a LEGO set would
maybe have found BrickLink somewhere during their search.  Or, more likely, they
HAVE found BrickLink, saw the obscene asking prices for that particular kit, and
then carried that in the back of their minds during the bidding wars that erupt
whenever an 858/8858 comes up for auction.