 General / 47596
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 03:25:18 GMT

* A certain few parts that are crucial to keep in the old colors will
likely be created as service pack type items. An example of this would be
the 9v train track. I am interested in getting feedback from you (via this
thread) on which elements MUST be produced in the old colors for the long
term. (And no, you can’t say "the whole range of parts!" :) )

Jake, thanks for the update. I appreciate your efforts in communicating with us,
and I see you take a lot of unnecessary abuse on here because of it.

Anyway, I believe you are asking the wrong question here.

I don't think there is a part that will solve the problem. Aside from train
tracks and baseplates, any part you give us in old grey will not be too useful
unless the rest of the parts are also available in old grey to surround it.

I believe you should be asking "What can be done to make the transition
smoother?"

The way I see it, there are two camps right now.

Camp 1: People with lots of old grey who want it to remain available so they can
add to their existing collection.

Camp 2: People who are ready to start using the new grey but are unable to
obtain the parts they need in sufficient quantities.

I believe the best thing to do is to speed the transition. As some people switch
from old grey to new grey, they will put their old parts on the secondary market
where they can be purchased by people who want to stick with old grey. That way,
both camps will be able to get what they want.

So, how would you speed the transition to new grey? Part availability, of
course!

Make a lego set. Call it "castle tub" or something. Include a bunch of parts
typically used to build castles. Bricks, facets, slopes, inverted slopes, wall
sections, hinge bricks, doors, headlights, corners, and baseplates. It doesn't
have to be all new colors, but the majority of the parts should be in those
colors to aid us in getting them. The tub should also include as many different
parts as possible for that reason.

This tub should include instructions for multiple models: one main one and a
couple smaller ones - much like the designer sets. Maybe the main model could be
a grey version of the yellow castle (replace red with brown and get rid of the
brick horses).

You could also do another set called "space tub" and include parts that the
space fans want.

Minifig packs that complement these two tubs would be appreciated, since I do
not envision these tubs coming with minifigs.

This solution only uses a couple SKUs and will make it easier for people in both
camps to find the parts they need.