 General / 47278
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 23:37:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
   You’d think I would have learned my lesson by now about the color change and just taken refuge in a concrete bunker. Nope, not that bright I think!

Given your position, that would pretty much require having to resign, wouldn’t it?

   I come to you with a final update, and some good news, as well as bad.

Bad news first – After much discussion and debate internally, the color change will stand. There was some good thinking that went into the color change (although, yes, the implementation fell flat)

So did the thought process...

   and as such we are going to stay the course. I know this isn’t the answer you’re hoping for, and I know very very well that many of you aren’t happy about this news.

I hereby dub this the “Understatement of the Millennium”.

   The three new colors (light gray, dark gray, brown) will now be classified as “universal”, and these colors will NEVER be touched again. There will, of course, be colors that change over time with trends, but not these universal ones.

Clearly “dark purple” is not a “universal” color. ;)

   A certain few parts that are crucial to keep in the old colors will likely be created as service pack type items. An example of this would be the 9v train track. I am interested in getting feedback from you (via this thread) on which elements MUST be produced in the old colors for the long term. (And no, you can’t say “the whole range of parts!” :) )

All track and all baseplates. Train track, Racers track, and Monorail track (hey, a guy can hope, can’t he?). Regardless of what a few individuals might think about “realistic” looks, people want to be able to lay out their track in a single uniform color, and it would look especially stupid if you had two colors of track that were deliniated by which pieces they are (dark-grey straights, light-grey curves, nazi-grey splits...). 48x48 baseplates, crater plates, Space landing plates, 16x32 plates, and 16x16 plates. These are the five grey baseplates that are most useful for doing Moonbase layouts, which have become a very popular way to set up a Space-oriented display. Anyone who dares say that color-consistency in baseplates doesn’t matter had best show me proof of a moon that has color blotchiness that’s arranged in a nice, orderly, square-based grid. The only times I’ve ever seen color variance of that type is on farms, with fields that are growing different crops (something which has proven to be quite rare on atmospherically-challenged moonscapes).

I’d suggest BIONICLE parts, but at this point the color-based damage is so extensive as to encompass every last opaque color except black and white (unless you count the tan and blue axle-pins, which are a mistake in their own right). And since we’ve been given a completely new shade of brown that’s got to be the most stomach-churning color in the entire history of the LEGO System, switching back would only mean that half of the current color pallete matches with sets from the first three years.

   As I’ve said before, out of all bad things comes something positive. In this case, the positive is that there are many more people internally who understand your passion and interest.

Understanding is but a small step towards what really matters. Let us know when they start to care.