 General / 45766
45765  |  45767
Subject:
We are back up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:24:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
I've been advised that warning signs of an imminent drive failure on the
lugnet system have been noticed.  To prevent and/or minimize data loss*,
an immediate drive swap is planned.  This will require the server to be
rebooted both before and immediately following the drive swap.  The system
will remain available during the drive swap, but performance may be somewhat
affected.  Total downtime should not exceed 10 minutes.
--Todd
* p.s.  Note: in the event of a catastrophic failure, complete daily tape
backups are also maintained, as well as off-site backup.

Well, we are back up.  As I'm sure you noticed, downtime was greather than
10 minutes.  What took so long was double-checking the integrity of everything
carefully after the swap (and making an additional full backup before making
any changes to bring the system up again), since it turned out that the
operating system had to be upgraded for the replacement disk drive.

No data was lost, although two sheepnorks and a peasant starved to death.

Be advised that outgoing mail appears to be nonfunctional at the moment,
as does search-indexing of newly posted messages.  Looking at these now.
Everything else looks good.

--Todd