 General / 45526
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:15:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

At this point, I and other admins at CC have not been contacted to work on this
project.  I believe that the LEGOfan team should actively work with people
running sites like fbtb, cc, etc at this early planning stage.

Nor has BZPower been contacted. I firmly believe success can only be achieved by
LEGOFan working with owners of sites who will be directly affected by LEGOFan.
Early in the process.

I tend to think that the announcement was made a little prematurely. There would
have less pointless speculation and argument if they'd waited until they
actually had something to show, even if it were just a mocked up homepage. As it
is the descriptions of what this site would do have been a bit vague.

I also think that a new site should have limited featured content of each theme
and then link to that theme's website.  LEGOfan should work with these sites,
not replace them.

Thank you for putting it so concisely. I would've spent a lot more time winding
around to the same point. I applaud your last sentence.

Well, despite the aforementioned vague descriptions that have been given so far,
I for one never anticipated that LEGOfan would do anything else. As Jake said,
it is intended to be a one stop {portal} to the LEGO fan community as a whole,
and all the websites within it. I think it's a fantastic idea with a lot of
potential, but will reserve my final judgment until it's actually online.
Nevertheless, I suspect that once it is, we'll wonder how we ever did without
it. Rather than replacing sites like classic castle and BZpower, I predict that
you'll see more traffic than ever being directed towards them.

Cheers,

Allister

- Kelly
BZPower