 General / 45465
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:22:53 GMT

[ followup-to .publish.html, since this isn't generally interesting. :) ]

Bruce Schlickbernd <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote:
And like I said, I disagree (but at least we agree on the boring part).  :-)
Hey, if you like boring, that's fine with me. To each his own, and all.
You seem confused - I was refering to Lugnet's visual appearance.

And that is indeed why I'm confused. I was referring to the phpBB on
Classic-castle in the paragraph you quoted. Like all such BB forums, it
basically has a big monotone ugly spreadsheet as the first level forum
list, an even worse one as the second level "topic" listing. When you get
down below that, the id pictures and the various icons on the posts
suddenly give a bunch of color, but it's still in that spreadsheet format
-- and the color is just decoration devoid of meaning.

news.lugnet.com, while arguably "boring" in some ways, doesn't suffer from
this. It uses different color codings to draw attention in meaning. And
the different forums often have their own little distinctive logo or
graphic -- and underneath that, the "hot" posts in that area.

And when you click on a post, you get a nice *graphical* tree showing its
relation to others. Within the post itself, different levels of quoting
are subtly but clearly color-coded, and of course there's the FTX stuff.
And if you want to see all of the replies on one page, you can, again with
color-coding and a clear spacial representation. No spreadsheet here!

Yup, confused.  Sorry if I wasn't clear along the way.  I meant Lugnet was a
step up visually from r.t.l., as newer boards are a step up visually from
Lugnet.

You must be looking at some yet newer board of which I am not aware....
The web "bulletin board" style forums (which bear little resemblance to
the old-school BBS systems despite the similar name, btw) predate Lugnet
by at least two years. And that was the dot-com times, so two years in the
then-current Internet Time is like, 25 real years. :)

Pretty much they sucked back then too -- spreadsheet-based forums, leave
your message as a post-it note in the appropriate cell.

Of course, they've evolved some, and one neat thing the newer BB systems
(like phpBB used by Classic-Castle) often have is the id picture -- the
"avatar". So at least it's easy to tell the post-it-note-posters apart at
a glance. Adding that to Lugnet would be cool. So much so that I might
harrass Todd about it, in fact. :)

But there isn't an analogue to the graphical adventure in anything we
talked about. Unless you meant Lugnet, and I don't think you did.
Defintely confused - I meant exactly that (another respondent knew I meant
Lugnet, so I didn't think myself unclear, but such is the written word).

Well, you replied directly to something that was clearly a description of
BB -- Kelly said something about "Kids like the visual cues and color" of
not-Lugnet. But if you actually look, most BB style sites have plenty of
flash but few actual visual cues -- that's one of my complaints -- and
generally color only to set the overall tone of the site. Classic-castle's
formum has a big blue grid -- there's not really such a thing on Lugnet at
all. (Lists, yes, but there's not much by way of grids.)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>