 General / 45447
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:45:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller wrote:

Classic-Castle is a nice site, but its forum software is nasty. How did
this "BB" style forum software take over the web? Ugh. It's a lot like a
trying to have a conversation using a *literal* bulletin board and post-it
notes. And Young People Today don't know any better. *sigh*. Anyway, I
appreciate that stuff gets posted to Lugnet too.

The simple answer to that is that it took over the web because it is freely
available and easy to setup.  phpBB, which classic-castle uses, comes with
cPanel (and possibly other such programs) which is used by hosting companies to
set up shared web hosting on their servers.  As such, it is widely available and
thus widely used.

The same can probably be said for EZBoard that is used by such places as FBTB.
It's readily available and easy to set up.

Are these systems lacking?  Sure.  I'd love NNTP access.  I'd love threaded
messages and cross posting.  But as Todd has yet so share the code behind LugNET
(not saying that he is obligated too) and lacking the skills to program it
myself, I was left to use what was available.

That said, many, many people do seem to prefer the style used by phpBB and
EZBoard, where the entire topic is shown at once.  I've not had any complaints
about how the forums work at CC.

Troy