 General / 45443
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:04:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Huw Millington" <hmillington@btinternet.com> wrote in message
"Jindroush" <jindroush@nospam.seznam.nospam.cz> wrote in message

Yeah, but if we have _defined_ environment (I mean there is _finite_
number of all LEGO sets out there), the final result _must_ be same. So
I don't see the need for competition. Of course, there may be
differences in 'value added', better pictures, more fields, different
presentation, but the core data _is_ same by the definition.

OK, agreed.

The _cooperation_ is the thing LEGOFan.net (or WorldLUG) talks about,

Having re-read the original post, that's how I understand it now too. I
don't think there's any intention to replace anything or any site, just • make
them work better together and accessible from one place, which I'm all • for.

I think Hugh has hit the nail on the head here.
From a personal standpoint, the thing that really excites me about this
project is the fact that if it is done correctly, then we have a chance to
'glue' together all the fantastic resources out there and provide a more
enhanced user experience to the community as a whole. This is absolutely not
an exercise in trying to shut down Lugnet (a resource I use constantly) or
any other site.

The analogy I like to think of (and bear with me here!) is with my own
software application 'BrikTrak'.
As some of you know, BrikTrak is an inventory manager application for
windows - currently aimed mostly at users who buy and sell on Bricklink. One
of the things you can do with BT is download set inventories. Does this mean
BrikTrak is competing with Peeron? No, absolutely not. It is taking a
resource that is out there and using it in a slightly different way to
provide added services for interested parties. BrikTrak closely integrates
with Peeron, Bricklink, BI Portal and other sites. This is done to enhance
the user experience without threatening the existance of any of the other
sites.
This is exactly the type of thing I see LegoFan.net being - something
created for the common good of the community and NOT something designed to
take out other sites.

Now, one of BrikTrak's major problems is that it is closed development - ie,
only I am working on it. This means that BrikTrak 2004 which I am currently
working on is slipping purely because recently I have not had much spare
time to put into it due to work commitments. This is one of the things we
are trying to avoid with LegoFan - there should not be a single point of
failure/bottleneck. By having a community based structure, then anyone can
sign up and help create the resource that they want LEGOFan to be.
At the same time, obviously there does need to be some sort of approval
structure in place to help guide with functionality reviews and releases
that also doesn't get in the way of progress. This is pretty much what open
source is and that's why I think it makes sense for this project. (for the
record, I'm not generally a huge open source fan - I am a windows platform
developer after all! In this case though, I think it makes sense to me).
We're not saying that we currently have all the answers, but we have given
it a lot of thought over the last 6 months or so.

Personally, I'm excited about this project. I believe that it is for the
good of the community while also encouraging others outside of the AFOL pool
to take part.

Richard.

<snip>