 General / 45419
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:19:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
Huw Millington wrote:
What's the difference between guide on Lugnet and BrickSet? Isn't that
just a mere duplication? [snip]
Competition is always a good thing...

Yeah, but if we have _defined_ environment (I mean there is _finite_
number of all LEGO sets out there), the final result _must_ be same. So
I don't see the need for competition. Of course, there may be
differences in 'value added', better pictures, more fields, different
presentation, but the core data _is_ same by the definition.

My point exactly.  No need for a third website copying the 2 already existing.

Of course, if LEGOFan.net provides high quality images and information on
every set produced since the year dot including promotional, regional and
other rare sets, and produces it in a timely manner on or before set
release, I'll be happy to throw in the towel, or maybe adapt Brickset to
take its data from a XML web service or whatever else is provided by
LEGOfan.net

The _cooperation_ is the thing LEGOFan.net (or WorldLUG) talks about,
methinks. There would be no need for you to 'throw in the towel'. You'd
just continue in your (BTW very good) work, but just share it with the
others. This would bring problems, of course. It's the thing I see in
LDraw community - it's full of standards, voting commitees etc.
resulting in slow updates and 'unofficial' parts ;) The database
wouldn't be 'yours' anymore and the write access to it by different
parties would have to be solved somewhat, to avoid the quality drop.

But the shared database would be great - for example, I would like to
give Czech users something like {very limited} guide.lugnet or Brickset.
I don't have enough resources to do it. But it's not a problem for me to
make czech ui, and create add-on xml databases with czech set names,
czech MSRPs and czech release dates.

So why not work with Huw and Todd and make the already existing websites better?
I have yet to see a good thing come of this debate.

Terry