 General / 45317
Subject:
Mispacked 1380s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 04:39:45 GMT

I picked up 11 copies of 1380, Werewolf Ambush, from KB Toy Liquidators
yesterday. Eight of the eleven contained a wrong part; I've never seen LEGO make
a mistake like that before. Have you?

Three of the eleven correctly contained 4x10 black plates, but the other eight
contained 4x12 black plates. I would have thought this error would have been
discovered during the weight check, but maybe since these parts were not in a
polybag, that step was skipped.

Another possibility is that the error was caught, but only after the set was
sealed, so LEGO sold them through to a discount outlet. But once again, I've
never heard of LEGO selling new "irregular" sets. Has anyone else discovered a
quantity of incorrectly packed sets?

Re: Mispacked 1380s
I picked up 11 copies of 1380, Werewolf Ambush, from KB Toy Liquidators
yesterday. Eight of the eleven contained a wrong part; I've never seen LEGO
make a mistake like that before. Have you?

The first few copies of the TECHNIC R2-D2 that I picked up had an incorrectly
packed part, but the weight wouldn't have been affected enough to notice.
They're supposed to have 2x #6 angle connector and 1x #5 angle connector in
white, but mine had those quantities reversed.

Three of the eleven correctly contained 4x10 black plates, but the other
eight contained 4x12 black plates. I would have thought this error would
have been discovered during the weight check, but maybe since these parts
were not in a polybag, that step was skipped.

I'm not sure when they weigh everything, but another possibility is that if they
had everything calculated for the 4x12, the weight would have registered
correctly until they realized it was set for the wrong part.  I suspect it
probably works best for being shorted the right part than for being programmed
for the wrong part.

Another possibility is that the error was caught, but only after the set was
sealed, so LEGO sold them through to a discount outlet. But once again, I've
never heard of LEGO selling new "irregular" sets. Has anyone else discovered
a quantity of incorrectly packed sets?

I remember reading something about this the other day, and when they have a
set/bag/whatever that doesn't weigh out correctly, it gets pulled from the line.
I'm not positive about what happens with it afterwards, but I've never heard of
TLC discounting the "irregular" sets.  Think about it.  If Joe's mom goes to a
discount store and buys a LEGO set super cheap, she's still going to expect it
to be exactly the same as the one she could have bought at full price from a
more convential source.  If they don't publicize the defects, it looks like
they've got shoddy QC.  If they do, it looks like they're saying, "We make junk
and we're well aware of it."

Re: Mispacked 1380s
Another possibility is that the error was caught, but only after the set
was sealed, so LEGO sold them through to a discount outlet. But once
again, I've never heard of LEGO selling new "irregular" sets. Has anyone
else discovered a quantity of incorrectly packed sets?

A run of the 10000 Guarded Inn had a white horse with indian print instead
of a plain white, several runs of the Santa Fe engine 10020 had dark grey
6.6L bars instead of red. Those come to mind right now (LEGO actually
shipped separate polybags with bars with the Santa Fe's and a horse was
included in the outer box when I ordered a 10000 from S@H.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit