 General / 44690
Subject:
LEGO® fires two executives, mulls layoffs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:12:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jan. 8, 2004. BUSINESS NEWSWIRE

LEGO® fires two executives, mulls layoffs

COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Danish toy maker LEGO® said Thursday it would post a steep loss for 2003 expecting a $237.6 million pretax loss, the worst in the privately held company’s 72-year history. LEGO preliminary loss before interest and taxes (EBIT) is seen at 1.4 billion Danish crowns ($237 million), down from an 830-million-crown gain in 2002, the company said in a statement.

The company, whose colored plastic building blocks have been a favorite children’s toy for decades, fired executive vice president and COO (chief operating officer) Poul Plougmann, over failed marketing strategies. LEGO also dismissed Francesco Ciccolella, who was responsible for corporate development.

Additionally, the company said would possibly lay off some of its 8,000 workers worldwide. LEGO has several retail outlets in the United States and a theme park in California, but no U.S. production facilities. It was not known if the reductions would affect the company’s U.S. staff.

Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, CEO (chief executive officer) and grandson of the company’s founder, said LEGO push to develop new products did not generate the results it wanted.

Last year was “very, very bad,” he said.

Since it reported its first loss of $47.8 million in 1998, Lego has been hit hard by increasing competition from the makers of electronic toys.

Under Plougmann, the company reacted by expanding its electronic offerings, including making high-profile deals to use characters from Disney, the Star Wars films and Harry Potter books in its toys. It also developed popular CD-ROM games and its lauded Mindstorms series, high-tech robots that are made of building blocks but can be controlled by personal computers.

As a result, sales rose but profits stagnated because of the higher cost of producing the new products. The company now plans to stop making the electronics and movie tie-in products and return to its core mission: producing colored plastic building blocks for children.

“We would rather be in control of our own products, the things that we can decide,” Kirk Kristiansen said. “We want to go back to our core products, and that is a key part of our future strategy.”

Figures for 2003 were not released, but in 2002, LEGO posted a 7 percent increase in sales, to $1.9 billion and a 1 percent gain in its net profit to $72.5 million. Until 1997, LEGO did not release its financial results.

The number of top management will be reduced to nine from 14.

“We will focus on profitability, especially the attractive profit potential of core products. Our aim for 2004 is to break even...it is realistic given the initiatives we have already taken,” Chief Executive Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen said in the statement.

LEGO will also make “necessary organizational adjustments” among its 8,000 employees in nearly 30 countries. It gave no further details but said an announcement would be made in a couple of months.

Founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Christiansen, the name LEGO was invented by combing the first two letters of the Danish words “Leg godt” (play well) without knowing that that the word in Latin means “I assemble.”

--- Note: Main competitors, Mattel Inc., and Mega Bloks have not yet released full-year 2003 figures. However Mattel Inc. reported on October 16 a rise in third-quarter earnings thanks to strong international sales partially offsetting sluggish U.S. sales.

-end of report-

lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:59:35 GMT

Under Plougmann, the company reacted by expanding its electronic offerings, including making high-profile deals to use characters from Disney, the Star Wars films and Harry Potter books in its toys. It also developed popular CD-ROM games and its lauded Mindstorms series, high-tech robots that are made of building blocks but can be controlled by personal computers.

As a result, sales rose but profits stagnated because of the higher cost of producing the new products. The company now plans to stop making the electronics and movie tie-in products and return to its core mission: producing colored plastic building blocks for children.

So that’s the end of Mindstorms then?

Scott A

Have you had a look at Arthurs Seat Yet?

Re: So that's the end of Mindstorms then?
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:16:39 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Scott Arthur wrote:

Under Plougmann, the company reacted by expanding its electronic offerings, including making high-profile deals to use characters from Disney, the Star Wars films and Harry Potter books in its toys. It also developed popular CD-ROM games and its lauded Mindstorms series, high-tech robots that are made of building blocks but can be controlled by personal computers.

As a result, sales rose but profits stagnated because of the higher cost of producing the new products. The company now plans to stop making the electronics and movie tie-in products and return to its core mission: producing colored plastic building blocks for children.

So that’s the end of Mindstorms then?

Scott A

Not necessarily - that quote is Newswire’s opinion of why the company made a loss. It’s not part of Lego’s press release. The Lego press release refers to ‘core values’, not ‘core products’. It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to go back to just making 2x4s in 5 colours again.

I think it just means they’re going to stop mucking about with trying to re-brand everything and spinning off a shoddy video game every five minutes.

Jason Railton