 General / 44525

The new greys: White will be next
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:47:25 GMT

I have just built the new minifig-scale SnowSpeeder, and have the following
observation on my first encounter with the new greys.

Putting the new greys side by side with the old, the yellow tint in the old
is very apparent, but when the old are looked at in isolation, it is not.

Whie bricks also have this slight yellowness, but when used with the old
greys it is not noticable. However the 'blueness' of the dark grey against
the white of the snowspeeder really makes this tint in the white stand out,
and IMO it does not look good.

It is my belief therefore that white will be the subject of a colour change
in the next year or two, to remove the yellowness and move it into the same
'colour space' as the greys.

Tell me, is the UCS SnowSpeeder made of the new greys or the old? Peeron
says the old, but I am sure I read somewhere, here perhaps, that it uses the
new.

Huw

Re: The new greys: White will be next
In lugnet.general, Huw Millington wrote:
[...]

I thought the yellowing of the white bricks was due to age and reaction
to UV or something like that.  Perhaps the new colors use a dye that
doesn't do this?

Nah!  They'd have said so by now.

Re: The new greys: White will be next
In lugnet.general, Huw Millington wrote:
It is my belief therefore that white will be the subject of a colour • change
in the next year or two, to remove the yellowness and move it into the • same
'colour space' as the greys.

<shudder> That would be even worse than changing the greys!

I thought the yellowing of the white bricks was due to age and reaction
to UV or something like that.

Even brand new white parts have a slightly creamy tinge, when compared to
bright white. To me, that's part of their attraction. I love LEGO white!

Kevin
Farmhouse kit: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-farm.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
The Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): http://www.bricksmiths.com
Personal Lego Web page:

Re: The new greys: White will be next
In lugnet.general, Huw Millington wrote:
It is my belief therefore that white will be the subject of a colour change
in the next year or two, to remove the yellowness and move it into the same
'colour space' as the greys.

<shudder> That would be even worse than changing the greys!

I think the new light grey looks fine with white in the 4494 mini
Imperial Shuttle.  I don't yet have an opinion on how the
new bluish dark grey looks with white.

I hope they decide to keep both the old neutral dark grey
and the new bluish dark grey so they can choose the best grey for
each situation.

Even brand new white parts have a slightly creamy tinge, when compared to
bright white. To me, that's part of their attraction. I love LEGO white!

Kevin

I also love LEGO white.  The first time I saw the Megabloks blue-shifted
white I squinted.  It is hard on my eyes.  I sincerely hope TLC doesn't
change the white to be more bluish.

Eric M

Re: The new greys: White will be next
In lugnet.general, Huw Millington wrote:

It is my belief therefore that white will be the subject of a colour change
in the next year or two, to remove the yellowness and move it into the same
'colour space' as the greys.

I am irritated by Lego's color changes, mainly because I'm color defficent (ie,
shades of many colors that are entirely different look the same at times). As a
result, I won't be able to tell the difference between a lot of the new colors
and the old colors. Very annoying >:-(

-Dan