 General / 44486
Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 05:50:46 GMT

SNIP

   The issue that I still havn’t understood has to do with these so called ‘focus groups’ (presumably of kids)... OK, so a (sufficently large) group of kids were presented with various sets using the different shades of gray and they picked the “new & improved” shade over the “traditional” shades. So what ? How much do the shades of gray inside the box feed back to the decision to buy when someone is standing in the aisle looking at the box, hmmmm ? I really cannot see some 7-12 year old kid saying something like “hey mom, I really like these colors, can I have another ?”. Ummmm, OK, so long term the kids may feel more comfortable with the new colors. Perhaps it is something very important, but very subliminal. Perhaps it will drive repeat business like we could never imagine... but I don’t see exactly how its going to make a difference. Someone out there want to loan me a clue on this ?

First, I have yet to see the new colors in person. That being said:

The only thing I know for sure is that companies (large and small) rarely do anything unless they somehow feel it will increase their profits, marketshare, stockprice, etc. Even if there is a significant up front cost (and the color change over had to have cost some money to implement), it will be worth it if there are long term benefits. I mean someone in TLC must have thought things like ZNAP, Galidor, and changing the colors were profitable ideas... Bionicle was one of those ideas that did payoff.

Like you have already stated, I fail to see how such a subtle change in the color palette is really going to affect sales and profits from a marketing point of view. I think that most consumers will not notice the color change at all, and the groups most likely to notice (AFOLS) are not significant enough (according to Lego) to affect their profits one way or another.

So, personally, I do not believe the focus-group-color-palette explanation. I think that was a very hastily concocted cover story when the first 2004 sets hit store shelves and the fury here on lugnet and other AFOL sites errupted. Otherise, I think that our friends at Lego Direct and Consumer Affairs would have been better prepared to answer questions about the change (I would think that LD, and CS should be part of the same marketing organization, within TLC, that supposedly did the focus studies).

I think a more likely and believable explanation is that somehow switching to the new colors must be saving TLC a significant amount of $$ in the production cost. Maybe its cheaper or more environmentally safe dyes, different ABS supplier, outsourced manufacturing, or who knows what. Based on the way this change was “slipped” in, I think that TLC made this change thinking the effect would not noticable. I bet the “error” was not noticed until most of the 2004 sets were well into production and it was too late (or expensive) to do anything about. (Remember, many AFOLs did not notice the difference right away either).

Regardless, the color changes appear to be here to stay unless us AFOLs can figure out a way to seriously affect TLC’s bottom line. The only hope, for the old colors return, is that color change is noticed by the general consumer community, and that results in a significant increase in returns and requests for replacement parts (== higher cost and less profit). Otherwise, we are left with very few options. We can either continue to buy new Lego sets or not. There is nothing that says we have to continue buying new sets to enjoy building with the bricks we already have.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts on the matter and I could very well be wrong. It would be nice if the “Real” explanation could be made known to the AFOL community but I highly doubt it ever will.

FWIW, I have been very reluctant to buy any of the new ‘04 sets and have spent $200 on bricklink in the past month because of the color change.

feeling cynical tonight, drc