 General / 44476
Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:24:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ahui Herrera wrote:

   TLC is NOT in the bussiness for adults! You need to remember that LEGO is a toy for kids! Lets say that again. LEGO is a toy for kids! As such decisions by TLC are designed/based/done for kids!

Our point is, Ahui, that the two do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive! They can kill two birds with one stone and make everyone happy, as long as the right hand knows what plans the left hand has up its sleeve. I think what has happened here is that not everyone in TLC is on the same page WRT marketing and this has initiated some counterproductive measures.

It is one thing for AFOLs to wail on about Jack Stone and Town Jr. This shows a lack of understanding marketing on their part. The sudden rush to change colors by TLC shows a lack of understanding of the market on TLC’s part.

What I would have liked would have been some “feelers” floated here on LUGNet. See what a coupla thousand fans thought about the idea. Even if they decided to go ahead with the change, at least they would have had an idea of the fury that would ensue.

The primary market for LEGO may still be kids, but to ignore a loyal and fanatic customer base such as AFOLs is bad for business as well, and there are some in TLC who know it (the right hands;-)

JOHN