 General / 43949
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:16:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Wilson wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote:

Can we see the official LEGO color palette? It must be documented somewhere. Peeron has their unofficial color palette, LUGNET has a page on it (although somewhat incomplete), too.

What does the official LEGO color guide look like? Maybe that would show us why these colors just had to be changed...

The Peeron page you referenced is the official palette (although incomplete). See this post for details.

James Wilson
Dallas, TX

The Peeron page is official? Cool!

Now, is someone willing to organize it in such a way that it shows why these colors needed to be changed?

Wait, that didn’t quite sound right.

Try again: It’s great that these are ‘official’. But a long straight line list (in some sort of weird order) doesn’t really explain or show how the colors work together, and why some colors just had to be changed. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about colors (graphic artist? printer?) could set them up in such a way that they’re all grouped logically - “this is the red family, this is the green family”, etc... This way LEGO could show that ‘this color doesn’t work because it’s not at the intersection of these two other colors’ or something like that...

A friend told me when he first saw the purple bricks he couldn’t figure out why LEGO chose that color. So he took a red 2x4 and a blue 2x4, and put them on a Technic motor. He cranked the motor full-speed, and tah-dah! Red plus Blue equals Purple. I haven’t tried it myself, but I trust his method - after all, he worked for LEGO for almost 15 years!! So what other ‘recipes’ are there? I’m guessing Green + Grey = Sand Green, and Red + Yellow = Orange (but *which* orange??)

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we’re losing some very popular colors, and all the harping and whining of the AFOL community just isn’t going to change that. But, I need to know WHY these changes had to be made. Dang it, I’m not a three year old! “Because I said so” just won’t cut it!

Come on, LEGO. Show us your reasoning!

JohnG, GMLTC