 General / 43792
Re: Petition against permanent color changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:10:25 GMT

The four of us in our very LEGO household use mass quantities of light gray and
dark gray - we buy more bulk bricks and plates in these two colors than all
others combined. Changing them will certainly affect us a lot! (Annoy is a
better word. And I will have to build and find space for storage systems for two
additional shades -- along with the myria other minor shades now appearing).

This particular instance of a change reminds me of the New Coke debacle. Why on
earth change something that works? Case studies (and the "Pepsi challenge")
showed that by the teasponful, people preferred sweeter Pepsi to Coke, so Coke
went sweeter. But by the glass, Coke drinkers prefer Coke to Pepsi. This is
similar. Those of us who have purchased (invested, if you like) in large amounts
of existing shades are going to have that supply and the MOCs built with them
rendered incompatible (also read as "old-fashioned" and "devalued") if we can no
longer build matching structures (speaking from an LTC point of view). One of
the beauties of the "LEGO system" is that it works across time and even
generations. Switching shades on basic colors will tarnish that.

We certainly don't like this move.

(There was a lot to be said for fleshing out the basic color palette, but the
recent explosion of colors IMHO is not a good thing for serious builders because
even in the days of basic primary colors only, only a small number of
element/color combinations were available. The drastic increase in color
possibilities means that huge numbers of permutations will go unmade and make it
ever harder for builders who use more than 10 (like 100 or 1000 or 10,000) of
something to get their hands on them in a particular color.

Used to be one could pick out a third party brand brick by its "off shade"
color. Not any more!

-Ted Michon