 General / 43781
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:09:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Burkhard Schloemer wrote:
Jake,

you must have lost your mind if you really believe LEGO customers will be
happy about ANOTHER two new colors.

Remember that Jake was the guy brave enough to post this news, in the hope of
presenting some facts to help minimize speculation and rumor.  He is not the
person(s) who made this decision, so don't take your dissatisfaction out on him.

Especially about a color that replaces a
beloved color that virtually has been around since day 1. No, I don't mean
light gray. I'm talking about CLASSIC SPACE GRAY.

Does that mean that LEGO Day 1 was the day that they released Classic Space
sets?  ;)

I know that name doesn't
ring a bell anymore for anyone working for TLG. How come anyone at LEGO
headquarter still trusts anything your marketing fools "figured out", after
they led you into so many marketing disasters recently?  In case you ever
would like to know how your marketing department works, here it is how:

(Scene: Last week at your local Toys'r'us, LEGO-section)

<Unrealistic market research scenario snipped>

Imagine this happen a thousand times, and you get a "public demand".

I think your imagination got the better of you there.  :)

However, I don't disagree that this is *possibly* a bad marketing decision.  It
wouldn't be the first time that a focus group, poll, or other research done by
LEGO wasn't exactly in tune with consumer demand.  But on the good news front,
there has never been a better time to pick up cheap Galidors at a store near
you!  :)

And in case you are wondering why I'm getting so upset about that wonderful
improvement you announced: I like building with gray. It looks wonderful. I'm
adult, and I got a TON of light grey pieces at home, eg. from buying multiple
copies (in two-digit numbers) of Star Wars sets.

I think I will rather quit buying new stuff and just use what I already have.

Then do so.  That is actually a mature way of expressing your concerns to the
company.

Which is far more reasonable anyway and also, mind you, much more cheaper. I
don't know who will pay for your paycheck in the future, but it certainly
won't be me.

Which means LEGO employees will still get their checks. Since neither you nor I
nor any adult fan buys enough to make that much difference.  This is an issue
that may resonate for a long time, but it's unlikely the adult community has the
ability or the clout to change minds at the very top.  Remember, this decision
has likely come from Billund, not LEGO Direct.  Jake was just nice enough to
take the time to track down some real information for us.  Thank him instead of
berating him.

Regards,
Allan B.