 General / 43769
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:35:47 GMT

Jake,

you must have lost your mind if you really believe LEGO customers will be happy about ANOTHER two new colors. Especially about a color that replaces a beloved color that virtually has been around since day 1. No, I don’t mean light gray. I’m talking about CLASSIC SPACE GRAY. I know that name doesn’t ring a bell anymore for anyone working for TLG. How come anyone at LEGO headquarter still trusts anything your marketing fools “figured out”, after they led you into so many marketing disasters recently? In case you ever would like to know how your marketing department works, here it is how:

(Scene: Last week at your local Toys’r’us, LEGO-section)

LEGO marketing goon #1: “Heyho kiddie, we actually WORK FOR LEGO and we got a question for you!”

Kid: “Ummm oh yeah? Really? Cooool!”

LEGO marketing goon #2: “Yeah! Hey look, here we got a bucket of COOL new pieces in a COOL new color! You can keep it if you like it better than the sucking old color. Light gray or whatwever it was called ... what do you think? Well?”

Kid: “Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!”

Imagine this happen a thousand times, and you get a “public demand”.

And in case you are wondering why I’m getting so upset about that wonderful improvement you announced: I like building with gray. It looks wonderful. I’m adult, and I got a TON of light grey pieces at home, eg. from buying multiple copies (in two-digit numbers) of Star Wars sets.

Now I can either throw it all away (which I won’t do), because it will be incompatible with the new light gray, and start frantically buying every new set that has a piece or two of the new light gray, all in hope of being able to build something decent again after 2-3 years of collecting. Something I will certainly NOT do.

I think I will rather quit buying new stuff and just use what I already have. Which is far more reasonable anyway and also, mind you, much more cheaper. I don’t know who will pay for your paycheck in the future, but it certainly won’t be me.