 General / 43389
    Web Host Concept —Mike Thorn
   If this doesn't belong in .general, feel free to just direct it to .publish. As some of you may know, Brinkster.com, which is where I and many other LEGO builders host our websites, has recently announced that it will be adding advertisments to its (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.animation)

        Re: Web Host Concept —Dan Boger
     (...) This is pretty similar to the idea of MOCPages, except that MOCPages is free? In general, it's a good idea, and I like it :) Some technical problems I can see, but probably nothing that can't be figured out. (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.animation)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Mike Thorn
     (...) Yes. The difference is that MOCPages (which is a great service!) does not allow you to create your own website. You can upload photos and write descriptions but that's as far as it goes. I'm envisioning three stages to this now: Stage 1: (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.publish)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Tim David
     I'm unconvinced as to why you'd need this. Plenty of people provide free hosting, for example I bet your ISP does. Now the space available on these sites is limited but then the majority of the large stuff on your site would actually be on (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.publish)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Mike Thorn
     (...) Lol. Two points: Space isn't the biggest issue. I have a few other web spaces I could split content about if I needed to. The main problem is the ads. I _hate_ ads. The only thing that drives me nuts faster than neon text on a black (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.publish)

        Re: Web Host Concept —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Why equally split? Suppose I have a high traffic site that hosts movies and therefore consumes lots of bandwidth. Why should I get to pay the same as some guy who hosts a few highly compressed gifs and doesn't get a lot of traffic. Very unfair (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.animation)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Mike Thorn
     At 10:46 AM 10/31/2003, Larry Spoke Thus: (...) Yes. BUT... If the payment was done on a resource-consumption basis, the guy like you that chokes out a gigabyte or two of bandwidth each month would be paying much, much more than the small price you (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.publish)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) That's my exact point. It is not fair for me to get something for nothing. Not fair to everyone else who is now paying MORE than they ought to have to. Either you get this concept, or you don't. In this scheme, you are setting yourself up for (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.publish)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Mike Thorn
     (...) Well, then, in that case...can we agree to disagree? :) If you want to carry on privately that's fine but I don't really want to start a debate. You see the system as unfair, I ask "who wouldn't pass up hosting that starts at $4 and only gets (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.publish)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Na, it's more than a mere difference of opinion. You're setting yourself up for failure. You may not care about that and that's your perogative but I prefer to give my business to outfits that I think have enough of a grasp of economics that (...) (21 years ago, 1-Nov-03, to lugnet.publish)

         Re: Web Host Concept —Terry Prosper
     Sure, with that kind of thoughts, we are going forward a s a society! Why bother trying something new when we can give our money to huge companies that already have al we need? Heck, why bother risking a few bucks a month when I can throw my money (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.publish)

        Re: Web Host Concept —Seth Rotkin
   The problem with this model is that the "organization" has a certain limited amount of space, let's say 100 GB for example. Now, let's say two people join. Do you give them each 50 GB? Then no one else can sign on. Or do you give them 10 GB to use, (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.animation)

        Re: Web Host Concept —Mike Thorn
   (...) To answer the question, it will be unlimited. But I don't think you can generalize and say "everything will soon be gone". Do you think you could build a website that has even 1GB of stuff on it? Even my entire collection of downloaded (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.publish)