 General / 43398
Re: Web Host Concept
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.animation
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:46:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Thorn wrote:

The fun part comes with the payment: each member of the service pays
monthly. The cool thing about that is that the payment is reevaluated and
split equally each month among all the members.

Why equally split? Suppose I have a high traffic site that hosts movies and
therefore consumes lots of bandwidth. Why should I get to pay the same as some
guy who hosts a few highly compressed gifs and doesn't get a lot of traffic.
Very unfair to him.

Equally split payments seems like it would be unworkable, long term, as the low
traffic people would get tired of subsidising the high traffic people. I think
your model works better if costs are allocated correctly, even if that is more
complex.

Put it another way: Who frequents all you can eat places? People (like me) who
like to eat a lot.

(the idea of adjusting costs downward to reflect economies of scale as more
users come on board is a good one, though)

Trimmed lugnet.general and lugnet.animation from the FUT