 General / 41675
Re: Pick-A-Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 13:11:24 GMT

I have just come back from Billund (with about 4Kg of bulk :-) )

There are somewhere between 300-500 different types of pieces available.
These include:

- Virtually all sizes of square brick and plate from 1x1 to 2x10 in the ten
main colours (white, black, grey, dark grey, yellow, red, blue, green,
brown, tan), plus orange. There are some omissions, like 1x1 plates in brown
and orange.

- A selection of bricks and plates in purple, dark pink, teal and light
yellow, most of them 2xn, and 1x2 purple tiles.

- Arches in all the ten main colours, usually three different types, but
more in grey and white (IIRC)

- A very large selection  of transparent coloured parts -- red, light and
dark blue, pinky-purple, yellow, including 1x1, 1x2, 1x3  and 2x2 bricks and
slopes, 1x1 plates, 1x1 tiles, 1x1 rounds, gems, flowers and so on (not all
parts were available in all colours)

- Some transparent white -- 1x1 and 1x2 plates, 2x2 slopes, 1x1 round.

- A selection of minifig parts, about 10 different torsos, 5 or so different
colour legs including medium blue, hats and hair

- Printed face and eye bricks and 1x2 dark grey with LEGO logos

- Flower stems and all the usual colour flower heads

- All the trees, except cypress, the large 3 leaved plants, the horrible one
piece palm trees

- Slopes, or more accurately, only 'roof bricks', in red, black, white and
blue, including 33deg 3x3 corners

- Paled fences in white and yellow, and trellis fences in red, white, black
and grey

In Billund it is sold by weight, at 40Kr per 100g, which works out at about
38GBP per Kg, which I guess is around US$60. Yes, like everything else in
Denmark it is expensive, thanks in part to the 25% sales tax :-(

I have not been to Windsor yet, but I am told that the shop is not fully
stocked yet. There, it is sold by the tub (as per Milton Keynes and Cologne
shops), but I believe it may well be moving over to by weight in due course.
It is believed that the stock at Windsor will be the same as at Billund
initially.

Here are the pictures I took, (sorry about my daughters obscuring the view
:-) )

http://www.btinternet.com/~hmillington/temp/sP3300496.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~hmillington/temp/sP3300497.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~hmillington/temp/sP3300498.jpg

This is a good opportunity for me to plug The Brickish Associaton
(www.brickish.org) and the Bulk Tracker application I wrote for use by BA
members. This has been provided to allow members to track which parts are
available at which outlet. It currently contains inventories for Milton
Keynes, Cologne, LL Windsor and will soon contain a 90% complete inventory
of Billund when I have found time to load it. Membership is just £5 per
year, and is not restricted to those in the UK. Everyone's welcome!

I'd be happy to provide more information on the Bulk Tracker including
sample reports -- just ask.

Huw

Noticed this on FBTB, but hadn't noticed it here:

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/press/morepress.asp?RegionalSiteId=11&id=659