 General / 38494
Re: Giant LEGO Mosaic event in Austin, Texas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:18:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.general, Eric Harshbarger writes:
This is an interesting community project, indeed. I have a couple of
comments after reading the description and seeing the pic:

1) The description said over 600 large gray baseplates were used, yet
the mosaic appears to be smooth? How were the baseplates used?

It wasn't smooth. It was just so large that it appears that way! The
baseplates were used in a normal manner, they were laid down stud-side up,
and then 2x4's were snapped on top. BTW, the whole thing was made from
2x4's. They did bring a few smaller bricks for last-minute fill-ins, but
tried not to use them. We had to "chase out" a lot of 2x2 holes!

TJ is right of course, I just wanted to offer a bit more proof.  Now that the
folder has been moderated, I can show you this picture:

2) A mosaic that size, and the 'pixel' size used appears to be huge! I'm
just trying to imagine the possibilties had single plate/brick
resolution been used on a 25'+ square mosaic... wow. From the pic it
looks as if the basic 'pixel unit' used was about 16 studs wide. But, of
course, since it was the kids building it... it had to be kept
relatively simple.

The "pixel" size was 12x12. They sub-divided the large (48x48) baseplates
into 12x12 squares by marking them with something (water-based marker?).
Yes, it was kept simple for the kids, but you're right. If the resolution
"pixel" had been 1x1 or even 2x2, it could have been a little better. But at
~25x37 feet, I thought the 12x12 resolution looked pretty good!

TJ

Only other thing I can add to this part is that it wasn't water-based marker,
as I had asked about it.  Turned out to be permanent marker, and I don't know
how anyone could get it off.  They said it would be reused again, I guess they
could make another 12x12 pixel mosaic.

Sorry I missed you out there TJ.

--Anthony