 General / 38488
Re: Giant LEGO Mosaic event in Austin, Texas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:23:53 GMT

Anthony, I guess you went Sunday only?

I was there for most of Saturday. Unfortunately I couldn't stay for Sunday,
and didn't get to see the completed stamp.

Saturday was a lot of fun. I've never seen so many 2x4 bricks! Especially in
gray and dark gray too! I've also never seen so many enthusiastic kids. It
was a real pleasure to meet the people from TLC: Steve, Jolene, and Brian.

I got there about 9am, and there were two news crews settin up. Brian was
interviewed by both, and they took A LOT of footage of the kids building. I
think the event was well covered. I believe the news had come out in
previous days as well. I'm sure they were there again Sunday to see the
finished stamp.

The LEGO reps were very satisfied with the progress Saturday afternoon, and
Steve, the master model builder, decided to do other things.

About 3 pm, he began dumping out bricks on top of the unfinished stamp and
encouraged kids to build whatever they wanted. Most had been doing this
anyway, but Steve wanted work on the stamp to stop (to save some for Sunday).

Shorty after 3, Steve, Brian, and Jolene decided to sponsor a bat building
contest. Brian ran to TRU quickly and picked up some prizes. They had two
catagories: 7 & younger and 8 & older. The kids had a great time as well as
the parents. I didn't build a bat myself, but I was invited to help judge!

The LEGO reps really worked hard, and I'm sure they were absolutely
exhausted. I'm still tired and sore from only Saturday. I can't imagine how
they feel.

I have many pictures, but don't have the time to post them right now. I'll
get them up in a few days and let y'all know.

It was really great and I hope TLC decides to have another one again soon!

TJ