 General / 37968
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:46:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rick Hallman writes:
In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Portillo writes:
That's it, I can't take no more of this crap lego is releasing and calling
sets.

I cna understand how Galidor might bea little odd from lego, but some Town
Jr. sets, LOM, even Jack Stone has great parts. Lego's idea is not only
build our sets, but knock our socks off by building something great with
*our* parts

I was talking in reference specifically Jack Stone and Galidor. It's amazing
when I actually see something cool built with the parts aforementioned, but
that's a rare reality.

I do agree with you that some products are cut short, while others beat a
dead horse. But if it makes money for Lego, who are we to judge what they
deem as "good" and "bad"? Ninja sets may have been only locally good. In
other parts of the world, they may not have sold anything at all.

Hmm...It's a shame some people never really saw something in the Ninja sets.
Sure, the models were a bit quirky, but I usually modified mine into
something completely different. Just seeing the Galidor commercial made my
nearly bust a gut laughing (not with it, at it.)

People tend to buy more when it's a name they know. People are suckers for
Movie and Mania merchendise. If Lego wants to get on this band wagon to make
money, why not? I happen to like some of the licesnses. Star Wars
revoloutionized the Space Community with new windshields, parts, pieces,
etc. The Harry Potter parts are great too! Even some of the Spiderman parts
are great! Just because they do licensing doesn't mean it's bad.

Yeah, SW is great stuff, (the first three years, anyway),an I would like to see
some more Episode Four items, particularly minifigure packages. (can't get
enough hoth troopers, they make great soldiers.) No, not all licensing is
bad, but the spider man sets took it a little too far. I mean, the sets are
organized in a studio fashion, and the figures look spiffy as heck. Sure,
there's a few useful parts, but the price far outweighs the benefit. As for
Harry potter, the castle and hogwarts express are great sets for parts, but
it always seems these are the hardest to find.

Lego has said they won't do war toys, if i remember right. And what fun is a
"Historical Recreation"? Kids want Good guys vs bad guys. Not the Leaning
Tower of Pisa. That is why you will see countless cartoon shows about Buzz
Lightyear vs Emp. Zerg, or Power rangers, or something. Things that aren't
fun don't sell. I can see only the Historical line if they moved from "Toy"
into the "Model" catagory.

Hmm...If you think about, most of the toys lego makes are war toys. Think
about it, the calvary units of the wild west, armies in castle, laser turrets
in space. It seems they go against their own creed yet won't make
militaristic themed models. What's up with that? And some of the historical
recreation models would have good guys facing off against the bad guys. Like
a tank set that would come complete with enemy bunker and allied tank. Think
of the Sopwith camel, that's historical, a great seller and doesn't come
with a figure in a pinstriped shirt screaming 'shoot me!' So, that goes
against the good vs bad creed. People want things that have a great shelf
appearance and are accurate. Maybe the seven wonders wasn't best in toy
category, but launching into models such as european castles and such would
be great. Is there any good vs. bad in trains? Um, no. Why do they sell so
well then? Trains are toys, and IIRC, you said toys sell because of that
'villany' factor.
Interesting...

In fact they do read LUGNET and see user opinions, recomendations, even MOCs
for the MOC Series. Weather or not they answer any questions is another
thing. If you want to Ask lego a question, please move this covnersation to
the "Dear-lego" group.

That's cool, but I would like to see them address some of the opinions in
these posts. I think if we get a direct response, that would be great, and
for all of your sakes, I'll finally shut up.

<<_Matt Hein_>>

It's amazing how one topic can drift to another.