 General / 37096
Re: Where is everything going?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:57:26 GMT

I would add that part of what I see for auction in the Lego category is
mis-represented and the thypical LEGO buyer is more knowledgeable about the
product being sold than the "idot" selling the item. I use "idot" in quotes to
comprehensively include those that do not know what they are selling with those
that are intentionally misleading the buyer.

Example: Someone was selling "rare" bionicle masks that could be obtained in
one of the Matuka sets.

Example: People tend to think that a set that is opened and played with, no
matter how little its played with, is simply not worth the same price as the
set in MISB condition.

Example: People do not understand the basic difference between "Mint in Sealed
Box" and "Mint in Box". No, it is not the same.

Example: A set I can buy locally on the store shelf is not worth twice that
price on eBay, no matter how much you think you should get for it.

Example: Rare appears to be a relative term that is never correctly applied.

Example: "Huge Lot of Legos" should be more than 5lbs or 8kg. Anything less is
not huge, and as a collector with several huge lots, I am offended by the
implication that less is more. ;-)

Other things that I would like to point out is that I wish ebay could separate
the LEGO Category into parts and whole sets. I am frankly tired of sorting
through large lots of parts selling 5 or so at a time to get to what I am
interested in. Yes, searching works but its getting to be a hassle because no
one seems to be naming their stuff appropriately.

After trying to sell the same item 5 times with no bid, you should be required
to take the item out of rotation for a while. Some people just can't get the
concept no one wants that item right now.

I am sure there is more to add, but I am stuck for now.

Todd