 General / 35067
Re: What is a "review"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 04:53:36 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:
See above. I have rather strict definitions. I called someone who removed
price tags in a store a thief, once.

I agree with you there.  Actually, I think that's more often referred to as
fraud, but I think it's generally frowned upon none-the-less.  :)

fraud is just another word for thief (at least in my book, and I'm
guessing Larry's also).

The review is my opinion.  My opinion
is that those columns aren't worthy of the LEGO name.

So call it an opinion, not a "review". A review has very formalized meaning.

"Product Opinions"  ?

I'll have to think of something catchier.  I'm a big fan of the Apple
company and their products... how about:

iPinions

ePinion? Nah, probably overused.

How about "My Impressions of LEGO Sets" or something along those lines.

So for some of us Larry, LEGO is a frustrating hobby right now.  For even
though we have money to spend on it sometimes, we can't always even find
product to buy with that money.  I envy you and your collection.  I do hope
you enjoy it, realizing that some of us just want the chance to build a
collection even a fraction the same size.

I don't know, I've found plenty to spend my money on, but then I don't
live in Canada. I find much of the current product line appealing. Yea,
I have complaints, but I suspect I'd have many complaints about the
older sets also if I was seeing them as they came out. I also try to
understand how TLC is targeting their product. I think it is very unfair
to compare Jack Stone to classic Town. Why? Jack Stone is aimed at a
very different kind of builder, one that Brad Justus mentioned (I think)
at Brickfest was not catered to years ago. I also have to admit that I
haven't started building things where I miss basic bricks. Right now,
I'm trying to figure out how to store all the basic bricks I've got (I
just had to split my overflow bucket of 1x6 bricks and separate the grey
ones [yea, I have so much grey my grey 1x6 and 1x8 bricks are going into
my overflow bins - smaller bricks are more sorted so grey has overflow
bins separately]). Of course I'm not into sculptures and our TLC isn't
into GMLTC style modules so I don't need thousands of bricks for those
types of construction.

I'll buy a set or two from almost any new theme or type of set TLC puts
out just to get a feel for what they really are. It's hard to evaluate
the new pieces without having them in hand. From the pictures I would
not have guessed that the Jack Stone columns have garage door/portculis
slots, and that the window/wall pieces slide into these slots.
Interestingly (and probably not surprisingly), many of the pieces I
predicted would find favor beyond Jack Stone are being used to good
effect in the new Alpha Team sets.

My point here wasn't my words, but where they were posted.  When I post them
on LUGNET, I don't get torn to shreds like this.  When I post them on my own
site, I become subjected to great scrutiny.  I was just trying to figure out
why the difference.

To a large extent, it's probably just a case of who happened to see your
words. Of course some of us may hold someone who creates a review site
to a higher standard than someone who posts a review every once in a
while in lugnet.reviews.

Frank