 General / 33169
33168  |  33170
Subject:
Help wanted !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:18:30 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello, there were a lot of posts here about LUGNET members looking for a
sign of life of others, believed to be in NYC. I am not sure if everyone has
replied yet. Some of the names are from people I have dealed with, either
through LUGNET or eBay but as a community this affects us all:

After stealing time from our familys and loved ones by playing with those
wonderful plastic bricks and after making some profit by selling and
auctioning old LEGO sets, I think it is time to give something back.

If familys of this community are affected, we should let them know that we
care for the members who make this community what it is: "the friendliest
place on the Internet."

Talking to my friends here in Germany, we decided we want to help. The idea
is to put (old/rare/...) LEGO sets on auction on eBay but instead of making
any profit the winning bid goes directly to those in need.

To get things rolling, we have two possibilties:
1) We want to help familys of this community directly (this way we know our
money goes to where it is needed and is not consumed by a big organisation).
In this case it would be great if a trusted person from LUGNET could open a
bank/Paypal account for this purpose.
2) If thankfully no LUGNET member is affected or you don´t agree to 1) we
could donate the money to the red cross (which the company I work for is
doing) or another supporting institution.

The auctions will be for this purpose only. This means we will donate the
sets and the shipping costs. To avoid any fraud, the money of the winning
bid has to go directly to the bank account of either 1) or 2). The sets will
be shipped upon production of a receipt.

This way people might spend even more money to get some collectibles as they
know they are helping. Also, everyone can join, by putting up an auction.
This community is quite big and growing. I think we can make a difference !

If you think  this idea is practicable please help us to get things going.
Thanks !

PS Thanks to everyone on LUGNET who made it possible to get information when
all news-sites were overloaded and people at work (like me) had no other
access to news.
One of my flatmates is currently visting NYC. It took some time to get in
contact with her but we were very thankful to get an email saying she´s all
right. My thoughts are with those who weren´t that lucky.