 General / 33118
Re: Terrorist Attacks on America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jesse Long writes:
DEFCON (Defense Condition) ranges from 1 (at war) to 5 (at peace).  It
describes our military posture in terms of being at or ready for war.  It
does not address terrorism.  I don't think DEFCON was around before the
nuclear age hit us.

THREATCON (Threat Condition) is a relatively new term used to describe the
perceived threat level to US forces in a particular area.  It prescribes a
minimum level of anti-terrorist precautions.  They range from "normal," with
no added security measures, through alpha, bravo, charlie, and delta, which
is an imminent attack or expectation of imminent attack.

DEFCON is more offensive, THREATCON is more defensive.

In short, more or less.  Don't quote me too directly, I don't have the
regulations in front of me and we don't worry about our DEFCON half as much
as we do about the THREATCON.

I am in the military.

Hey Jesse - thanks for the informative briefing. I was indeed wondering
about the connection between delta and the 1 thru 5 DEFCON rating.

-Shiri (who watched _War Games_ in history two years ago)