 General / 32908
  Re: Plane crash in New York?

From the director of the WTC: on a typical day, each tower contains 10,000 people plus any tourists. That's a possible 20,000+ victims. I never figured the numbers would be that high. (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Pittsburgh is apparently United Airlines. American Airlines Flight 77 Dulles to LA is down as well. (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Possibly Flight 93 on route to San Francisco Concern about a second United Airlines plane. (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

The Pittsburg plane was a Newark to San Franciso flight.(NBC news). (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Sorry but I think when all is said and done you might have wished it was only 20,000 people. Eric Today is a very sad day, I am not a praying man but I have found myself saying more than a few prayers today. Lets just hope this is over. (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) True, when you add up the losses at the Pentagon plus all the flights, that may well tip the numbers past 20,000. I hope this is over, but I can't help thinking that something else is going to happen today here on the West Coast. I truly hate (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Todays events are like the plot of a far-fetched Hollywood movie. Lets hope many occupants of the WTC towers were able to be evacuated, before the later collapses. It's a tragic, tragic day. (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

Dave & All, (...) I do as well, what a horrible morning. Helpless, and tired. Scott S. -- (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Terrorist Attacks on America

Woke up at 9:00AM PDT here on the West Coast...my family and I are in shock... I've been trying to play catch up here on LUGNET and on television. FoxNews has kept the updates up, and the news here on LUGNET has been exemplary...thank you all for (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: State department car bomb false. Camp David attack false. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: 10,000 confirmed dead at WTC so far. OTHER: If anyone on the East Coast can't get phone lines out but has internet, email or post messages and phone numers of people you want to get in contact with here, and I'll try to relay if you like. (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I'll echo that. If you want to get a message to anyone, especially in the Midwest, feel free to email me at steve.bliss@quixtar.com. (...) Yes, thank you very much, Suz! Steve (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NESW: Pentagon (and nation) under Threat Condition Delta (highest level). Bush tape about to be aired from Shreiveport LA. Tape died. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Still trying to get tape working. Bush: "Faceless coward...full resources of govt. working to help...US will hunt down and punish cowards...in contact with DC...Military on high alert status...taken necc. scurity precautions to keep govt. (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Camp David WAS under attack. Terrorists failed...plane crashed 80 miles away... AA spokesman: "Impossible to release any innformation...FBI will respond instead...All further AA planes down and/or accounted for..." Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: 2 warships and National Guard en-route to New York harbor. Palastine: joyous dancing and candy being handed out in streets... First Lady in hide-out. Fox News bld. being evacuated. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

i take it you're on the east coast somewhere. in any case, thanks for the news updates. i, and i'm sure others do too, really appreciate it. ace (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Pittsburg plane believed to be the Camp David attack plane. All federal blds., museums, monuments closed in DC. OTHER: Again, anyone with internet but no long distance phone who needs to get a message out to friends or family, e-mail or post (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Glad to help...it's ALL I CAN do...it helps me feel less helpless...on West Coast actually...next door to Vandenberg Air Force Base, if anything happens on the West Caost (Dave, I hope you are wrong...), I'll likely be right in the middle of (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Some most definitely were able to get out. They interveiwed a guy from the 54th floor of Tower One (first to be attacked, second to collapse) who was able to get out. Jeff (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Taliban still denies responsibility. Tomorrow, Bin Ladin associate sentencing date for other attack. Possible correlation. Panic may spread in Manhattan...calm now. Evacuees from skyscrapers stuck with no cabs, trains or busses...milling on (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

Boston News now reporting both planes that hit the WTC buildings in New York came from Boston. One the previously reported American Flight 11 the other was a United flight also bound for LA. Eric (...) able (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) I heard a TV report about an interview with someone from the 82nd floor. I would suspect that was also Tower One (it looked much less damaged, and hit higher up, plus had more time to evacuate). (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Americans can give blood to help those injured (Was: Re: Terrorist Attacks on America)

In lugnet.general, Matthew Gerber writes: snip (...) There has been a Red Cross blood drive set up here in Tucson, AZ specifically for those who need it on the east coast - I assume they will be all over the country. I'm sure there will be blood (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Giuliani: "National Guard on standby to relieve New York emergency services later today...anyone in southern Manhattan should leave...walk north...let ambulances in...pray...volunteer if you have any emergency training...donate blood...66th & (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Oliver North: "Attack may not have been aimed at Camp David, but at nearby military base..." Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

Eeeh! A fighter jet just flew over my house. This is frightning... Jenn and Dan Boger, of Washington DC, are both now home and ok. There's the jet again.. It's circling Boston. -Suz (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: With all US financial markets down, world financial market in turmoil. Morgan Stanley/Dean Witter demolished (in tower). Oil prices rocketing today after attacks. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

OTHER: Suz, hang in there...you'll be OK! (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

I can't even begin to imagine how scared everyone near these horrible events must be. I'm a wreck sitting out here in the countryside of middle America. My heart and prayers are with you all. Tanya (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Area of Pentagon hit was recently remodeled, and sparsely populated...only 40 people being treated there so far...good news... Pittsburg plane...man in bathroom on cell phone alerting emergency people of hijacking before premature crash. Emmys (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

As pointed out on NBC, dates seem to play a role in these tragedies. Today's date: 911 NBC also reports all domestic flights that were in the air are accounted for and have landed. Julie (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Yeah, it came by us recently-- sort of an odd hush as everyone in the office suddenly heard a low-flying aircraft... We've got an airfield (Hanscom) right near us as well as an Air Force base-- it might have taken off from there... DaveE (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: FAA: All domestic flights in air during shutdown have landed safely. Strong indications that people linked to Bin Ladin planned and committed attacks. Bin Ladin associate murdered, this may be retaliation. Islamic chat rooms heavy activity (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) One comment... I doubt this is connected. This is primarily because something this big would have taken a huge amount of cordination and a lot of planning. This had to have been in the works for quite some time and I think the associate of Bin (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Phone numbers for anyone who needs them: American Airlines 1-800-245-0900 United Airlines 1-800-932-8555 From FoxNews.com: Bin Laden a Prime Suspect Tuesday, September 11, 2001 Several terrorist organizations have been known to have the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Please Donate Blood!!

(...) This is definetly one way EVERYONE can help. No doubt, blood supplies will be strained nationwide due to this tragedy. Contact your local blood donor center (Red Cross or a local hospital) and make a contribution. It is a relatively painless (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: President Bush: Politicians want him in DC, Secret Service wants him at NORAD. Just landed in Nebraska. Will continue to land and refuel until decision made. Can do everthing needed from Air Force One. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Transcript of Bush taped speech from Shrieveport, LA from FoxNews.com: 'We Will Pass the Test' Tuesday, September 11, 2001 Statement by President Bush from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana.   "Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I don't think they are confirmed, I'd have to say that it is a guess. The various new channels said there could be up to 50k people in the towers. One channel had someone that had walked down 92 stories and then did a radio interview then went (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Reason for choice of aircraft: Planes from east to west coast carry maximum amount of fuel. NATO: Evacuated headquarters. FIMA: As part of plan, 8 urban search annd rescue teams en route to NY. To early to talk about a military response. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: State-by-State Breakdown of Reaction to Attacks Tuesday, September 11, 2001 ALABAMA - Security increased at military bases including Redstone Arsenal, site of the Army missile command and NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center; ALASKA: Military (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Some office buildings closed in downtown Seattle. All downtown Starbucks branches closed. :^P Glad I don't work down there. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

PERSONAL: I'm finally seeing the footage from Palastine...men, women, children dancing in the streets...smiling, chanting, clapping...I'm sickened, just sickened... They may see this as a strike aginst the "hated enemy" of America..I see their joy (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) it's just like the terrorist groups responce: (paraphrase) "We didn't do it, but you got what you deserved". :/ Dan (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Me too. It's just sick, to have such joy at the suffering of innocents. :^( ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head -- Mark's Lego(R) Creations (URL) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Karen Hughes press conference: All international US embassies, bases, etc. on Delta alert. Sec. of State Powell en route from South America. FAA shutdown until at least noon tomorrow. Water vessels also on shut down. Though markets shut down, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Question; is 'Delta Alert' the same as 'Def Con 1' ? (I may have misspelled 'def con') Does ~Def Con~ range from 1 to 5, and 1 being the worst? -R (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Breakdown of planes and passengers- American Airlines Flight 77, Dulles>Los Angeles, 77 passengers, 6 crew American Airlines Flight 11, Boston>Los Angeles, 81 passengers, 11 crew United Airlines Flight 93, Newark>Los Angeles, 38 passengers, 7 (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Lord Robertson, NATO press conference, Brussels: Not right or proper to jump to any conclusions or actions at this time. No initial thoughts as to who comitted attacks. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Not really sure...seems about right... The Delta Alerts seem to be the nomenclature built on Americas newer defense plans, as created just a few years ago. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Palastinian Head Representative in US, Hasan Rahman: Palastinians should not be celebrating. Why should Americans NOT believe me when I say that the Taliban had no hand in the attacks? Do not attribute actions of a few teenagers in the streets (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

To All, (...) I definately agree with Matt here, we should be concentrating on rescuing survivors, and maintaining control, things of that nature, until officials can properly investigate who did this, and take appropriate action. Scott S. -- (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

UK airports and military are on full alert. London Stoock Exchange was evacuated earlier, along with the Canary Wharf tower. Tony Blair has given a short speech of shock, support for the US in eliminating terrorism, and on security aspects. Flight (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Please Donate Blood!!

Rob Doucette wrote in message ... (...) Canadians wanting to give blood should call the Canadian Blood Services # for info about where to do so locally: 1-888-236-6283 Kevin ---...--- Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: (URL) Lego parts store: (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I think (and I have no internal knowledge of US armed forces) that defcon 1 is actual war, while the alert levels are just that - letting security forces know something may be up... Dan (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Sorry Scott, that ended up reading badly, want to clarify...the words in that post are quickly typed paraphrased quotes from Hasan Rahman, head Palastinian representative in the US...not my words. However, you are 100% correct in that first we (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I doubt that a few teenagers could pull something like this off... but we do need to wait until the investigation actually tells us who did... :/ Dan (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: NY Stock Exchange will not open tomorrow...possibly open Thursday. Huge impact on national and international financial markets. Air Force One taking off from Nebraska. President headed back to DC. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Congress should be back in session tomorrow, if cleared by security personel. Perez: Israels response...US is the only country who can save the world from this type of terrorism...doesn't matter who is responsible for US attacks right now, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: President Bush to address US tonight...no time yet. A search and rescue team is inside the Pentagon now. American Airlines recently fined $99,000 for poor national flight security measures, non-screened passengers, unattended luggage, etc. (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

Heard on the radio that a few planes have left O'Hare airport with rescue supplies. Regular airplanes, not military. Julie (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Israel declares tomorrow as a day of mourning. Stands with the US in solidarity. Emergency contact numbers related to attacks: Airlines: Friends and family who wish to check on passengers and flights may call: American Airlines, 1-800-245-0999 (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Richard Shelby, US Intellegence: US was caught flat-footed... Building 7 at WTC has just collapsed due to chain reaction of airliner strikes and fires. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Chronology of the day...read from the bottom up for sequence...from CNN.com: 2 p.m.: Senior FBI sources tell CNN they are working on the assumption that the four airplanes that crashed were hijacked as part of a terrorist attack. 1:48 p.m.: (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: NY Senators Clinton and Schumer hold press conference: Schumer-Feel your pain...Pearl Harbor of the 21 century...those who did this must be brought to justice...no one can avoid terrorism, must band together to fight it...we will be united in (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Hundreds of police and fire fighters who ran to aid the first WTC tower attack are missing after second attack. Will take up to one week before any accurate estimate on fatalities can be made. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: Bush will address US at 9:00PM Eastern/6:00PM Pacific. Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

CNN has reported explosions in Kabul. Just heard on the radio. Pedro (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

PERSONAL: Well, I've been at this for five hours now...the news is, of course, slowing down...thankfully, there have been no new attacks or further terrorist activities...I don't really know why I took the time to relay all of the days news here at (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) There is a huge fire in the area of the Kabul airport, possibly a fuel dump. There seemed to be antiaircraft fire and highspeed rockets, possibly cruise missiles. Jeff (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Matt, I think I can speak what the entire is thinking...Thank You! You've condensed all of this news into an easy to read form. Instead of looking at CNN.com, I've been coming here, a place I feel comfortable. My prayers, also, are with those (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

She called her husband from the hijacked plane. Barbara Olsen, well-known right-wing tv celibrity and debator was onboard on one of the crashed planes. Accoring to her husband, she called him twice from her cellular during the flight. - The (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) There's nothing left to say I guess. I only would like you to know that I'm feeling exactly the same. (Most german people do ! Churches are full with people praying for the victims. Nothing else in TV for hours on every channel) I'm very (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

My thoughts will be with those lost in this tragic event, and for those who will yet be touched by the senseless act. I implore you not to compare this with Pearl Harbor as has been mentioned. Pearl Harbor was at the time, a key MILITARY target. (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Just a picture update: These are he buildings that have collapsed. The collapsed ones are tinted red. (URL) the record: I'm quite glad that my dire prediction didn't come true. My sense of foreboding hasn't ebbed much even with 4 hours away (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

Never before could I relate to any other bombing in America, because I didn't realize the trauma and the disgusting horrible scenes of the building, but now I do realize, I also realise the Palestinians are horrible disgusting foul people for (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: President Bush's speech has been pushed up to 8:30PM ET from 9:00PM ET PERSONAL: Well, now that I've had a shower and some food, I'm feeling a bit better...wanted to update the time of the President's speech...to those who expressed thanks for (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) the closer buildings would have sustained more damage when 1 & 2 collapsed. But it makes no difference really... ROSCO (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) They just said on ABC that fire fighters have given up on the hotel building, and that it's in very bad shape. I assume they mean number 3 on the map. And earlier today it was mentioned that building number 5 was in danger of collapse. -Suz (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

That was an eerie scene on TV of tourists continuing to buy postcards of the towers. (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) There is a report that it was an attack by the 'Northern Alliance', the group the Taliban are battling for control of Afghanistan. The attacks were by helicopter gunships under the control of this group. (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) PERSONAL: I kinda' wish you hadn't posted this, Erik...I went to eBay and searched World Trade Center...I should have known better...I want to scream! Go there...see what I mean...(at least eBay is quashing many of the offensive/useless (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  RE: Terrorist Attacks on America

For those who did not hear President Bush's address---- Main statement-" We make no distinction between those who perpetrated this and those who harbor them" He also put an estimated number to the casualties: his words- in the thousands. Seems to be (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) thought (...) But (...) Well I'm no engineer, and from the pictures I've seen it's difficult to tell how much of 1 & 2 collapsed, but its hard to see any of the close buildings surviving - the shock waves created by the collapse would have (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

This is the part of the speech that stood out for me. While I am no war -monger, I am definately not a pascifist, and I think that this statement is going to put the world on notice that we will finaly put a face on terrorism. The biggest problem (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) And maybe there'll be a few million more innocent people killed before everyone suddenly realises it hasn't made any difference. Is terrorism OK when sanctioned by GWB? You really think it will stop others retaliating? ROSCO (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I don't coun't an attack on terrorists as terrorism. can you really compare an attack on a terrorist training camp to an attack on civilians? You are right though, retaliating won't stop terrorism, it would just make it harder. That's a good (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) everyone (...) Why not? (...) on civilians? Yes, I can. They're all people, even if they may be somewhat mis-guided. Trouble is, Bush seems to be saying he wants to retaliate against anyone who harbours terrorists. And how do they decide who (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) everyone (...) Although I'm generally a left-wing peace supporting citizen the events of the last year here in Israel (and now the horrible unbelievable attack in NY) have convinced me that when dealing with people that have no regard for (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) -snip- (...) make (...) retaliate, (...) Interesting questions and statements Ross. Today's events are certainly very, very tragic and saddening. The long term effects of these attacks could/will be devasting. I hope the U.S. first finds out (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) So what hard descisions do you think are appropriate here? Do you agree with GWB when he says we can "win the war against terrorism" [1]? ROSCO [1] Read the speech here (URL) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) When people fight wars they kill people. It's very sad, especially when you consider that most of these people don't consider themselves 'evil' but are convinced that they are right (it's possible that they were 'mis-guided' by their leaders). (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) that (...) a (...) believe (...) the (...) have (...) life (...) great (...) When (...) [1]? (...) 'winning' has a positive sound to it and I think nothing about this situation or the actions that must be taken is positive. I'm not sure what (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes: <snip> You KNOW I have lots to say about this but let's take Matt G's advice and let it sit for a few days. Whatever we have to say about it isn't going to change what the real world decides to do in (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

(...) I also support this suggestion. In other news: Larry--where are you right now? Are you camped out at the airport or did you find other accomodations? Dave! (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

(...) Nod, I'm sorry I replied in the first place. There are people still alive in there! CNN just showed a video of the first plane smashing into the building. very sad. :( (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

(...) He rented a car and drove to Indy. (URL) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

(...) I'm a seasoned traveler, as soon as it became clear that there was a chance that flights might start delaying, I got a rental car as a precaution via landline to our agency. 5 min after that NWA was on the PA saying that the airport was (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

(...) PERSONAL: Just got back from Lamaze class...thank you Larry...I really don't want to see this kind of debate on LUGNET right now...how about we look into pulling together right now, instead of attempting to play pundit here in a forum where it (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

Realized that many people wouldn't see this in .debate...reposting here... (...) PERSONAL: Just got back from Lamaze class...thank you Larry...I really don't want to see this kind of debate on LUGNET right now...how about we look into pulling (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

(...) PayPal's ahead way of us. They already have one. Check their main page. LFB (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) NEWS: Following up this message...from FoxNews.com: EBay Bans Sale of Trade Center, Pentagon Souvenirs Tuesday, September 11, 2001 NEW YORK  — Internet auction giant eBay banned the sale of any items relating to the World Trade Center or the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet

You can also give directly to the Red Cross via credit card online. Red Cross of Greater New York: (URL) Chapter (these guys have updated their web site today) (URL) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) They'd better work faster. They're still going up. Losers are trying to get $800 for a $10 print and using text directly referencing the attack. The worst part is that people are actually *bidding*. They know what they're doing is disgusting (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) QUICK! Check this out before it goes away...especially check the high bidders name and the current high bid...this ROCKS! (URL) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) bid history to see the name of the bidder who killed the auction with a bid of $10,000... Matt (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) And I've seen a few others where people WITH FEEDBACK have jumped on the grenade and done "BUY IT NOW" to leave INSTANT negative feedback about how the seller is a sick individual. Somehow I don't think they'll be able to defend themselves (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

NEWS: FoxNews now has handheld (but really sharp and clean) footage of the first WTC plane impact. As horrifying as the second attack, but moreso since it was the start of the whole thing. Matt (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Thanks Matt. I woulda taken you up on it but, thank goodness, my mom somehow managed to get a call through to .il and let us know everyone is OK. My older sister is in NYC but is OK, and my aunt, uncle and two kids were *supposed* to board a (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Wow Shiri...I'm glad to see you pop up...did you get through to Chris first? I'm glad all's well...especially for your Uncle and his family...wow. Drop me an e-mail when you get a chance... Matt (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

DEFCON (Defense Condition) ranges from 1 (at war) to 5 (at peace). It describes our military posture in terms of being at or ready for war. It does not address terrorism. I don't think DEFCON was around before the nuclear age hit us. THREATCON (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Violence begets Violence. I think Ghandi said : “Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.” The expectation right now is the attack was undertaken by group/s in retaliation for American intervention in the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) This is absolutely no time for armchair speculation, and no time to criticize the President. Perhaps you haven't seen the general concensus of a moratorium on debates concerning the attacks yet (in o-t.debate), but quite frankly I am offended (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Agreed, Tim, but you need to calm down and explain your position in a civilized manner. Too many bad things have occured of late and adding to it via yelling on Lugnet isn't the way to get things done. Scott can bring up any points he wants, (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I see no speculation in the text above? (...) Hardly a "general consensus". I shall remind you that I was reply to an apparent call for revenge. Not speaking about these issue here, or even at our coffee breaks, will solve nothing. If people (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Thank You. (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Tim, Dave, et all, I do agree with Tim, now is not a time to draw party lines. But the way to get things done is to support these poeple in NYC and Washington, and to show our pride rather than screaming it. I urge everyone to wear Red, White (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Check this guy out (especially go look at feedback he's left): (URL) I emailed him and he's a rather nice guy, just a very angry one. At least he's got the courage of his convictions. best LFB XFUT-> .debate, just in case (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

How can any American, or even decent human being, cash in on the deaths of his fellow man?! I feel sick to my stomach. How can anyone conceive of selling fragments of the WTC as "memorabillia" when it's soaked with the blood of the murdered?!!!!! (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) After reading his stuff I checked on the auctions of a few of these disgusting, opportunistic profiteers. Happily, a great many of them, found under a search of "World Trade Center", appear to have been canceled or withdrawn. Dave! (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I hope eBay does something about this upright standing person's feedback, but they probably won't. After all, they must pander to the sellers (even if they are doing the right thing by canceling the auctions). Let us pray that eBay will find (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Somebody already mentioned this (maybe one of the Gerber news posts), eBay has banned all WTC and Pentagon related auctions until at least October. -Rob. (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Hey Jesse - thanks for the informative briefing. I was indeed wondering about the connection between delta and the 1 thru 5 DEFCON rating. -Shiri (who watched _War Games_ in history two years ago) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

Question, you guys - has there been any sort of event in Copley plaza (Boston)? My sister said she heard something about a bomb threat but I had to get off the phone, and she didn't want to scare my younger sister so I heard no more. TIA, -Shiri (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Shiri, Sorry, I've been watching, but couldn't bring myself to continue relaying, the news... NEWS: The Hyatt hotel in Copley Plaza was investigated as the probable lodgings of many of the terrorists from the planes...a tactical response team (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

Matt, (...) slowing (...) keep (...) stuck (...) Well, I was one of those stuck at work, and with the internet being spotty at best, I am very thankful for your efforts. Thanks! (...) Indeed. Scott S. -- MichLUG Member, www.michlug.org Personal (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I think Ebay should ban it for good and if they don't I'm never buying there again. I think it's just plain sick! Any person wishing to buy, sell, trade and/or somehow turn a profit from debris soaked with the blood of their countrymen is (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

I haven't seen the auction in question. (...) OK, I think excessive profiteering is a bit despicable, yes. But ponder this. I would like to have a small piece of the WTC because I want a tangible reminder of this tragedy, something to spark (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I think it's a day all Americans would like to forget, why keep a grim reminder? (...) It's your soul, do as you please. (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Because those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. thanks, James (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Perhaps you'd care to forget. That's the coward's way. I prefer to remember. Why do we have an Arizona memorial? (...) I always have and always will. It pleases me now to note that you didn't answer the questions. (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)