 General / 32744
Re: Chapter 1 of Subterfugitives now online!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 13:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joel Kuester writes:

Disc One : Chapter One is now ready for viewing:

http://minispy.tripod.com/secret/

I'd love to hear any comments (either here or in the feedback link on the
main page [or by email if you prefer to remain private]).  Please keep in
mind that this is not an 'episode' in and of itself, it is one chapter of a
much larger story and merely introduces some of the basic story elements.

*gasp*  Using words like *amazing* and *stunning* and *unbelievable* and
*captivating* seem pale and understated, in my opinion.  It is truly
unbelivable ... every scne is so intricately detailed, it really does make my
head spin.  The furniture in the first scene was impressive, and it only became
more and more enthralling from then on out.

Are all of these MOCs?  If so, you seem to have (or have access to) a truly
stunning collection of LEGO.  I know that when I'm working on a model, I have
no problem siphoning off large chunks of cash to obtain the exact pieces I'm
looking for ... but the idea of doing that for scenery, and for the number of
scenes this compilation promises, is intimidating!  I can't stress enough how
impressive this is ...

As an aside (and for my own information), where did the light grey
quarter-round saucer sections that make up the crew "stations" in these scenes
come from?

http://minispy.tripod.com/secret/ch1pg37.html
http://minispy.tripod.com/secret/ch1pg46.html

Are they Brasso'd (or computer graphiked [sic]) UFO hulls?  Or are they from
some untapped source that I am unaware of?

Chapter 2 is at least a month or three away, I need to take a break for a bit.

Ugh.  Couldn't you have at least given us the hope that it would show up in a
week or two, at most?  Now I'll have to stew in my own anxiety indefinitely.
Now there are *3* major long term artistic undertakings I am biding my time
for: the Lord of the Rings movie series (finishing up in 2003?), the rest of
the Star Wars series, and now SubterFugitives.

Lastly:

Although I understand the advantages an online interface has for this story, I
couldn't help thinking how much I would enjoy having this story on an inked
comic book page.  The tactile feel of the smooth cover and the rough texture of
the paper, the brighter (or darker) than life color, the physical connection
... and I honestly believe that the LEGO would translate wonderfully to the
page.  Any thoughts on this?  That is, do you see the web interface as a
crucial element to the artistic production of Subterfugitives, or is it a
convenient medium for the time being, given budgets and timeframes and
resources?  Just curious about the artists' thoughts on this.

If you ever need an investor to take this onto the printed page ... ;)  Though
I wouldn't be surprised if you received an unsolicited contact from some
printing/publishing/press firm, especially those dealing with comics/graphic
novels.  You have something truly unique, and so far, tremendously
inspirational and enticing!  I can't wait to see more!

Shaun