 General / 31404
Re: is Octan a real brand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:31:07 GMT

Even with post verification I accidentally left out that I tried a google
search and couldn't come up with any Octan company, other than our Lego one
(hence the link)!  Maybe there is a small Portugese one, but it doesn't get
a mention online.

Kevin

In lugnet.general, Kevin Knoot writes:
Take a look:

http://www.interealm.com/sd/octan/octan.htm

In lugnet.general, Jason J. Railton writes:
Frank Buiting wrote:
I received a mail from someone in Portugal who commented on my description
of Octan in the LEGO Lexicon:
http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/o.html#octan

He pointed out that in Portugal there is a real company with gas stations
over the country branded 'Octan' and it uses the exact same logo. I asked a
portugese collegue if he could recognise the logo I sketched and he
instantly recognised the logo (there was no LEGO context on the paper).

So is the LEGO version of Octan based on this company?

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
lol that would be funny if it were and we thought it fictitious all these
years!  Since Octan is transported mostly by LEGO trains, I've crossposted
there:-)

Speak for yourself - I'd always assumed it was a brand from mainland Europe
that I'd just never heard of.  I know Lego used the 'Shell' brand a long
time ago, and I assumed they'd just struck a new deal with someone else.  I
don't know how widespread any fuel companies are outside of the UK, although
I've never seen an 'Octan' hoarding on any of the televised Grand Prix circuit.

Does the brand use the same colours?  I preferred the white/yellow/red of
shell to the white/green/red of these Octan vehicles anyway.

Jason J Railton