 General / 3120
Re: Wax removal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:27:52 GMT

Tom McDonald wrote:

Kevin Wilson writes:
I thought about introducing a low heat to melt the wax so it can wipe >off, • but I'm not sure what the heat tolerance of Lego really is.

No, don't do that! Put it in the freezer, which will make the wax very
brittle and it should come off much easier.

Larry's delicate-cycle double bag and this both sound like a good ideas,
though I would opt not for any added heat here because wax often has dye in
it, and I would not want to introduce any further heat to risk any (possibly
further) discoloration. If you cool them down, use your fingers to pick off
the bigger wax pieces, and try a soft plastic brush for the rest so you don't
scratch pieces. I use a dishbrush that won't scratch teflon and that seems to
work.

Try using discarded women's panty hose/nylons.  That was what I saw recently on a
Cable TV show for removing wax.  I would agree that first freeze and then break
away the large pieces.  And I don't think that panty hose would scratch the LEGO.

Gary Istok

I don't really know about colder temps, but Lego begins to not like
temperatures above 104º F, as the old instruction manuals for the boats say
(don't know if the newer ones do). Dishwashers are meant to sterilize plates
and that means they use hot water from your water heater, which is often
heated at and even beyond 140º F, plus the dishwasher has a heating element of
its own to make steam! Yikes!

-Tom McD.