 General / 29195
29194  |  29196
Subject:
Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:14:25 GMT

Dave Low wrote:
In lugnet.general, Paul Gardosik writes:
Dave Low wrote:
Think about God/gods. You talk about God, you're talking about the One
Almighty. You talk about gods, you're contemplating various beings that
share the attribute of divinity, with none of them "owning" the term
"god".

Actually, gods exsisted long before your "God" who, when you think about
it, stole the term.

Does God have a name for God? follow up in off-topic.debate if you dare...

First of all, I don't know if I am supposed to take this discussion only to
off-topic.debate or also have it cross-posted to general.  If someone knows
better, let me know.

God existed first, before anything else.  He created all things, including
man, whom He created in His own image.  Man, being sinful, created gods in
his own image. (see http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/truth.htm and
http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/truthfaq.htm)  So God did not steal the
term.

God _does_ have a name for God.  He actually has three main names in the
Bible.

(Quoting from Ryrie's Study Bible)
"1. Jehovah [or Yahweh]
    a. Meaning
        Self-existent One (from Exodus 3:14, "I AM THAT I AM").
    b. Characteristics
        It is a name of relationship between the true God and His people
and,
        when used, emphasizes God's holiness, hatred of sin, and love of
        sinners.
2. Elohim
    a. Meaning
        Strong one.
    b. Characteristics
        Used of the true God and heathen gods.  It is a plural word and is
        the plural of majesty.  The plural does allow for the subsequent
        revelation of the Trinity in the New Testament but does not teach
        the Trinity per se.
3. Adonai
    a. Meaning
        Lord
    b. Characteristics
        Used of men and of God and indicates the master-servant
        relationship."

Jehovah is usually translated LORD; Elohim, God; and Adonai, Lord, or
occasionally, God.  Orthodox Jews never call God Jehovah, but out of respect
call Him simply The Eternal.

--Ryan  <><

ryanjf@ifriendly.com
http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/home.htm