 General / 27062
Re: Geeks and Toys on Netslaves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:55:30 GMT

I for instance... am a geek... I am a Development Manager responsible for
eCommerce personalization. Prior to becoming a manager I was the technical
lead.  Pretty classical geek stuff.

What do others in the community do?
- Jeff

Well, according to CNN, there is but one career in the entire IT gammut that
does not entail direct interaction with networks or personal computers. That
is the Technical Writer.

I am a Technical Writer. Unlike network administrators, UNIX administrators,
data technicians, network analysts, etc., tech writers are "hangers-on". We
depend on the other IT folks for our careers. They speak geek to us, and we
translate it into stuff like "LEGO Technic for Dummies" (apologies to IDG
Books). Our world consists of word processing, web-writing, and
image-messing-with programs like Paint Shop Pro.

Don't let Scott Adams Dilbert character, Tina the Techwriter, throw you. I
am anything but brittle. I'm hardly emotional about the whole thing; I'm
just doing this to pay the bills. Besides, it's fun. I get to make like I'm
an egghead.

Pat(rick) Hough - Non-Brittle Tech-Writer