 General / 25015
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:

Really.  So if I look at the Guild of Bricksmith page, and copy one of your
designs, and place it in my living room, you're going to take me to court?
Good luck not getting laughed at by the judge.  You do realise that you have
to prove some kind of damages to win an award, even in an American court in
the 90's and 2000's, right?  I mean, I know it doesn't seem that way lately,
but it is still true.

Simple.  The instructions retail for $.  Therefore, if you wish to make this
object, you have to pay me the $, or someone who has already paid me for it,
has to sell you there copy of the instructions.

The only reason why we have Brickshelf is because TLC is 'tolerant' of the
level of copying of sets that is possible.  I mean, to come up with a Yellow
Castle, you basically need to have the set, right?  Or just about any other set
that is on Brickshelf.  I don't have that option, I don't make parts, therefore
I would be forced to defend my right to the IP ideas contained within the
photographs that you would be basing your construction on.

How exactly is this damaging you?  What makes you think you have a right to an
award?

Simple.  I designed it.  Not you.  I have a right to a fair payment for my
time, and you -do not- have the right to copy what I tell you you cannot.
(1)
That's absolutely ludicrous.  I wish *you* the best of luck in getting people
to pay for your designs, but frankly, if you're going to post pictures of your
creations to the web, you can expect that people are going to look at them, • and
if people are going to look at them, they're going to encorporate them into
their own experience, and if they do *that*, consciously or unconsciously at
some point in the future they are likely to do something that is inspired by
that.  Are you really suggesting that you're going to get letigious over it?

I would if someone took the design on one of my sets, and decided to produce
copies of it, without my consent, and with evidence that they used my ideas.  I
have to, it is what I am entitled to, the same as if I was a songwriter.  They
are MY ideas, even if they are expressed with something other than what I came
up with (words, vice Lego bricks, but the analogy is the same)

Are you high?

No.  In my job, I am not allowed to consume illegal drugs, and I have not had a
drink of Alcohol since the weekend. :)

This goes back to the same old debate sparked in the lugnet.build,mecha group
when someone threw a tantrum over people borrowing ideas from his design.  If
you're going to share those pictures, you can expect people to learn from them
and even copy them.  Most of us feel flattered when people do that.

Feel free to learn from them, but if I find you _copying_ them, I will do what
I can to protect my rights.  I'm not averse to someone nicking ideas, I do it,
and I expect that people have done so with my stuff.  But, if I find someone
making copies of (say my Tyne Dock hopper), I will react to it, up to the full
limit of my ability.  Rest assured, I would consider court action against a
individual if I believed it to be the only remaining option. However, I would
hope it would not come to that.  I hold the rights to my sets, which is fairly
plainly stated on the pages containing the design.  If you wanted to use the
door idea on a hopper of your own, fine.  If you want to use my airhose idea on
a model of your own, again fine.  If you want to build a direct copy based on
what can be seen from the photos, that is NOT fine.  That's where _I_ stand on
the issue.

James Powell, Bricksmith
(1) Copy, in the sense of physically duplicating without the right granted
under fair use or other sections of the copywrite act, as applicable to _MY_
residency (IE-Canada)