 General / 23782
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:11:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
I'm loyal to the brand and the company and by no means want to see MegaBloks >come in and take away LEGO's market share.  By this statement are you >stepping back and saying 'who cares?' and not staying loyal to TLC?  It seems >that you are...but you're not clear by it.

I can't speak for Dave!, but "I" am of this mindset.  As long as the product
is quality 99% of the time, I don't care who wins this struggle for
marketshare.  But more to the point -- why should the average consumer care?
And I assure you that they don't, I have overheard enough store
conversations to know that people go to TRU looking for Lego, see Mega
Bloks' price point, and buy Mega Bloks.  If Ritvik does nothing more than
wait TLC over the price issue, they will win.  End of story.

I agree with Dave! that they should improve their brick quality ala Tyco
Superblocks. That said, neither Tyco nor Mega Bloks could really compare to
TLC on the minifig side of things -- in this category TLC wins hands down.
If TLC cannot, or will not, get its brick prices down maybe they could
concentrate on minifigs and other accessories.  That might be a couple of
areas of no serious competition. Technic would be another -- but by this I
mean REAL technic, not Throwbot throwups.

We all know that TLC's current plans are about 5 years out of sync with
reality.  They need to get their act together in a hurry or just be prepared
to lose marketshare to crummy clones like the almost impressive Mega Bloks,
and the far worse Best-Lock.  And the latter clone will dilute the market
enough by putting people off of interlocking bricks altogether...

For my part, I don't see that TLC have learned much of anything.  I do not
see the bulk offerings to be much more than a band-aid fix.  Its certainly
not bulk as was suggested it would be.  Certainly not bulk that anyone cares
about with heavy competition from some of those on Brickbay.

-- Richard