 General / 19074
Re: The problem I have with upcoming product hoaxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:56:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Brian Kasprzyk writes:
In lugnet.general, Patrick J. Shepard writes:
(800 pounds of foolishness removed)

Geesh, can't you take a joke?

I understood your posting as very obvious joke.  But, a year ago, when I • first
started looking at Lugnet, I saw the 121 train question and wasted several
hours researching it.  I was not happy to come to a site that I thought was a
true Lego site for people who loved the bricks and be deceived by a bogus • Lego
set.  I basically stopped looking at Legnet after that.  I started looking
again recently and low and behold, another bogus posting and add created.  I
agree with the first posting.  That type of deception should be done • somewhere
else.

I haven't decided how I feel about "serious" hoaxes yet, although I tend to
side with you that they can be bad.

But I have to say that you got incredibly unlucky if the first two things you
saw were both hoaxes, and both by Ben. That is extremely unlikely, the
percentage of hoax material here is way way way less than 1%.

Don't give up on LUGNET as a whole, it's an incredible resource (not the only
one, mind you, there's brickset and brickshelf and some others I can't • remember
too).

++Lar

It's scary to think about the probability of it!  I am trying to keep an open
mind because it IS a way to see some really creative models.  I am working on
my own web page.  Hopefully, people will like it.  I have been building with
Lego for years and have some nice layouts.  I'm like most modelers, I open my
boxes and use them! Thanks for the response.