 General / 19024
Re: The problem I have with upcoming product hoaxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:29:38 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:
how might it make someone feel when he goes to all the trouble of making a
really funny spoof picture, and then a bunch of people jump on him calling
him a deceptive liar?

Hear, hear!  There’s so much anticipation surrounding possible future products
that people can be forgiven for getting miffed when they’ve had the ABS pulled
over their eyes, but there’s such a thing as taking suspicion too far.  When
the first X-Wing pics hit the web 2 years ago or so, *most* people who saw
them decried them as frauds, citing arcane photographic trickery and secret,
pirated molds to produce still-patented Lego pieces in other colors.  Lo and
behold, the model turned out to be real, and everyone was happy.
        Healthy skepticism is certainly prudent, but there’s no cause to blast
a prankster, especially when it’s April Fools’ Day, as in the fabulous Train
"hoax," or when the "hoax" is so patently obvious and lighthearted that no one
can be expected to fall for it.
I agree that most Lugnetters probably have web access, and even those who do
not were able to read the amused responses within minutes of the initial
posting.
It’s interesting to me that no one got too worked up when the masterful "Set
666" was unveiled   http://server.exo.com/~coby/lego/BURPBox.html  , probably
because it wasn’t presented as "real," but also because no one was waiting
breathlessly for such a set.  Of course, the nature of the "set" itself is so
obviously a prank that no one would take it seriously, but the same could be
said about the AT-AT "hoax."

        Dave!

I look at the possitive side of these hoaxes.  As a collective group they make us
think!!!!  We get to play detective.  And there is almost always someone who says
"Ah ha! This can't be real because......"  For those who are well versed on LEGO
products, it becomes sort of a challenge.  I guess for those who are novices, it
can get intimidating however.  But it is all in fun.  And (besides LEGO Direct) it
gives the newsgroup something to ponder.  Otherwise these newsgroups get somewhat
stale, and (active) participation drops off, like it seems to have done recently.

Gary Istok