 General / 13310
Re: Help Me......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:22:44 GMT

Good advice on how to get inspiration.

I'd also offer that you should try some exercises to stretch your
thinking.

One good one I like is to grab a random handful of parts (not too many,
not all the same, not ones you picked out, just random) and just let
your fingers flow. Disconnect your consciousness and doodle with them.

If after a few minutes you don't come up with something that makes you
go "huh, I bet I could make a <x> using that construction as a basis"
toss them back, draw another set of parts, and repeat.

Keep repeating until every time you doodle you come up with something
fairly quickly. You're training your fingers to work automatically.

I've seen Todd do this and it's quite amazing to watch. Some of my best
work is also the result of doodling, I think.

You need to do both (just like an art student)... work with stuff to see
what you get, and pick things to copy in order to hone your
representational technique. I've expounded before that I feel Lego is a
medium just as stone/chisel, paint/canvas/brush, glass/flame,
steel/torch and so forth are.