 General / 12931
Re: Calling for Box Status and New Rule to vote on
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 06:12:07 GMT

I think this email update idea is terrible.  Some people might not be
at their computer that moment the availability is posted.  It will
lead to box sniping.  I think we should just be stuck with the list
as it is (fcfs).  Maybe email the next recipient to see if he still
wants/is ready for it.  If not it goes to the next person.  Maybe a
set turnaround time to expidite the process.

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Doug Finney writes:
In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Maybe some more randomization is needed. Maybe we need to swirl all the
lists around so that all the boxes go around in different orders.

Probably not a solution for all the boxes (maybe a couple of them?) but
how about a dynamic list rather than a static one. Rather than sending
the box to whoever first expressed interest 6 months ago, send it to
whoever replies first to a post saying it's ready to move on. This would
also solve the problem of lack of updates and hopefully cut down on the
number of boxes going to people who don't have time to deal with them
"now" but will "soon".

One options would be to limit the pool of possible recipients to those
who are already on the waiting list (at least until we're caught up).

It's not a perfect answer, in part because it reduces the chances of
people who don't have time to stay caught up in the group all the time.
But I think having at least a couple boxes work this way would speed
things up and give newbies a chance to get involved right away.

Doug