 General / 12077
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:11:57 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
AFOLers such as Tamy, Julie KrenZILLA, and Jody, Suz, etc. as to how they
got into LEGO.  My little hypothesis is that they were mentored into LEGO.
That is, a parent or an adult actively initiated and encouraged the child
to play with LEGO. And, of course, being the perfect toy for boy or girl,
the child was hooked.  That is at least how *my* daughter got into LEGO.  I
don't think that she would have sought it out on her own.

Part of my frustration is that it's difficult to _find_ Lego system toys
that are generally appealing to girls. Almost all of the sets are fire
trucks, police stations, race cars, or space/castle/pirate sets, and as
someone else mentioned, all very conflict-oriented. As I've said before,
it's not that these things can't appeal to girls, but for various reasons,
they often don't as much.

My point is this:  the themes of the LEGO sets are prohibitive to capturing
the interest of girls.  Girls don't respond to conflict and aggression,
which is basically inherent in every theme.  Even town, the tamest of the
themes, experiences robberies and accidents and emergencies with astounding
regularity.

Exactly. So why not produce regular, non-pinkified Lego System sets which
also are non-conflict oriented. I'm sure you've all seen me rant about this
before -- schools, restaurants, shops, parks, etc. Scala and Belville have
two strikes against them in my mind -- first, they really have problems with
gender stereotypes. But more importantly, they miss out on the most
important and interesting Lego feature -- there's barely anything to build.

I have some young female relatives that I'd love to buy Lego sets for. But
it's very difficult to pick out ones I think would inspire a love of Lego.