 General / 12045
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:21:11 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think that their market research has discovered that
girls would rather play with midi and maxifigs, rather than minifigs.  Boys
would rather play with the space ships and vehicles *for* minifigs.
Witness the unsuccessful Paradisa line.  The only people who seem to like
it are Art Deco and Miami Vice fans;-)

Actully, I think your last sentence captures the issue more than the first
point. The problem with Paradisa isn't that it was marketed for girls. The
problem is that it was a weird pink and has strange architectural stuff
going on.

I think regular town sets -- schools, stores, restaurants, houses,
libraries, movie theaters, etc. have a good chance of doing well among both
girls and boys.

And it's also important to consider exactly who does the purchasing. _I_
would certainly buy sets like this for my young female relatives. Last
christmas, I wanted to get Lego for my 7-year-old cousin. I tried to find a
set that she would like. Unfortunately, the available town sets were all
fire trucks and race cars and so on. Not that girls can't like those things,
but it's not something that would make her excited. I finally settled on the
news reporter set, because at least it had a female minifig. It's really too
bad that there was nothing available!