 General / 11803
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:54:58 GMT

Hello Brad,

With this missive, the LEGO Company asks to open a dialogue with you, our
consumers.

Your message could not have come at a better time for me personally.  It
was just this week that I was wandering through the busy stores wondering
what's going on with LEGO.  The shelves seem somewhat cold and empty
compared to your warm and inviting statement.  I was, in fact, questioning
how much more money I was willing to spend on your products.  I'm hoping
that through this new dialogue you (TLC) can find new and interesting ways
in which to separate me from my money.  :)

[Please read on... it gets much more positive from here on in.]

We want to
have the best possible relationships with all of you who want to have a
relationship with us. That is what LEGO Direct – our new direct-to-you
communications and commerce channel (which I am heading) is all about. • LEGO
Direct embraces all the company’s direct-to-consumer efforts on a global
basis, both on- and off-line: Shop@Home, our Internet presence(s), • e-commerce,
LEGO clubs worldwide, community building activities, and more.

Well said, well thought-out and in this vast e-commerce enabled world, this
is an extremely timely statement.  Bravo!

As a first step, we at LEGO Direct want to participate actively in these
newsgroups from now on – that is, if such participation is something that • you
want.

This seems pretty obvious to me.  You have available to you, numerous
intelligent consumers more than willing to provide you with endless amounts
of feedback for no more price than your willingness to listen.

you by late next Summer. But here’s a little preview that we think you’ll
like: we are planning to make bulk ordering – albeit initially in a • restricted
format – available by then.

Although for me personally this is not a critical issue, I know that many
others will be happy with even limited access to bulk ordering.

We want
to be a company with whom you want to be involved. We want to be the • company
you’d like us to be. And to do that, we need your input.

You have already taken the first and most important step towards being a
company behind which I am willing to put nearly all of my disposable
income.  I thank you... my bank account does not.  :)

What do you love?

The answer to this question is best expressed in a simple equation that I
have posted several times before in this newsgroup.

LEGO = Bricks

It is the brick-based products that I appreciate (and buy) over anything
else.  While I understand your company's interest in expanding the brand
name through the marketing of non-brick related products, I cannot endorse
them with my own dollars.  I will only ever buy product from you that has
bricks included.  Having said that though, I am willing to buy more from
you when the products begin to appeal more to me.

What do you hate?

Hate is such a strong word.  Let's leave it at this... Products like
CyberSlams and RockRaiders will never grace the shelves of my LEGO
collection.  The first one because it's much too violent for LEGO and the
second because I just "don't get it".  I do find it ironic right now that
the few boxes on the shelves right now seem to originate primarily from
those two product lines, while I can't find a decent mixed bucket to save
my life.

How can  we help you?

You've already begun.  This open communication concept that you're in the
process of establishing will go a long way.

Tell us – we want your input.

If this means that you're looking for suggestions for new/different
products... I'm more than willing to offer my two cents.  I have lots of
ideas, but for the sake of brevity, let me touch on just two.

1)  Reissues of old sets.  Some of us (like me) have fond memories of sets
that are now over 25 years old.  Anniversary reissues seem only a logical
step for a company with a history as rich as yours.  One quick look on Ebay
and one can see an immediate need for, or interest in, the classic old
sets.  Many sell for outrageous sums of money, with neither the original
box, nor instructions included.  By simply stamping those materials with
the words 'Reissue' you negate the possibility that the box and
instructions will be used to resell the model as though it were an
original.  And by offering the new product at a price less than the
originals are now being sold for at auction, you also reduce the idea of
them being sold falsely as originals.

For example... Is a 928 Galaxy Explorer really worth more than $150 U.S.
???

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=207260645

Or is a reissue, from the original company, at a reasonable price, more
attractive to people like me who may want to complete their classic space
collection?  I would hope this is the case.

2)  Take some consideration, when designing new product lines, of the adult
market specifically.  And I must add that this really should include
something other than another supercar.  Sure, I love cars as much as the
next builder, but what about some of the terrific architecture that's
begging to be built from LEGO.  But how many houses really have blue roofs
these days?  Why not some targeted service packs that address some of the
needs that LEGO builders are looking for in their bulk ordering requests?
One of the things I find most frustrating about LEGO is that most of the
large projects I consider building are never going to be built (under
current conditions) because the price of obtaining the necessary parts at
auction is truly daunting.  If, however, certain parts were available with
large vehicle, or large building design in mind, I might be building some
of those dream projects.  And as a result, buying more product that I
otherwise would never have bought.  I am sure that by listening to your
market (as you seem very willing to do) that you will develop ideas for new
product lines or marketing strategies that will address many of the adult
concerns and further tap their finacial resources... in a good way for all.
:)

Let me leave you with a little math that you can run by the marketing
folks.   I am a 31 year-old LEGO fan.  I began buying sets for myself again
approximately 14 months ago.  During these last 14 months I have purchased
(conservatively) 10 times more LEGO than all of the LEGO that my parents
bought me as a child.... combined.  At least 90% of this product was
pruchased new, either from S@H or from retail outlets.  Here's the
kicker... all of this product is for me.  I don't even have any kids yet.
Imagine how much I will continue to buy when they come along.  Or, better
yet, imagine how much I would have bought if more of the product had been
geared towards me.  There have been many a day that I've left the toy aisle
empty-handed.

We cannot tell you how excited we are to be working with you all. We hope • you
are equally encouraged by the renewed commitment we are making to you. We • look
forward to a very rewarding collaboration.

The excitement is felt on this end as well.  I do feel that LEGO was a huge
part of my childhood and I've felt somewhat confused that the company
seemed so unwilling to admit that its products could continue to have
appeal to those of us who grew up with it.  You have begun a terrific new
incentive and I wish you immense success with it.

Best regards,
Allan Bedford
apotome@execulink.com
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm