 General / 11802
Re: Juniorization may be a moot point.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:51:36 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

I think that if LEGO-Direct allows us the possibility to buy bulk
orders, then Juniorization may be a moot point.  If you buy a LEGO set
that is originally intended for children anyway (based on TLC market
studies), the asking LEGO-Direct to change this to AFOL desires doesn't
make much sense.  Just replace those 1x2x5 tall beams with (5) 1x2
bricks from your new bulk inventory.  Or build it from scratch using
those bulk inventory pieces.

But I don't think we will get very far by asking TLC to de-Juniorize
these sets.  They weren't originally meant for us anyway.  What good are
a bunch of small pieces in a set if TLC goes down the tubes because kids
today don't have the attention span to want LEGO anymore?

My 2 cents/pfennig/centimes worth,

Gary Istok
"All LEGO sets are but parts packs to my building zeal".

Let me rephrase what I have said.

I don't think that even with LEGO Direct we are going to get TLC to change
the direction of their sets for kids.  We aren't marketting types.  We look
at these sets the way we see them.

Every time I have my nephews over (or the children of friends), they always
say "Uncle Gary build something for me... it takes me too long to build
anything".  That is because I have very few Juniorized parts, and today kids
attention spans are shorter than when I was a kid.

Anyway, I agree with the principle against Juniorization, but I don't think
we can change it.

Gary Istok