 General / 11792
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 18:58:54 GMT

[liberal snippage]

"Huw Millington" <hmillington@cix.co.uk> wrote in message
news:FMHsL2.FJw@lugnet.com...
Another thread among the ensuing argument is something about revealing • sets
that TLC don't want us to know about, and 'spoiling their surprises'.

If you look at it from LEGO UK's point of view, they don't want anyone to
know anything about 2000 sets yet because our catalogue is not out yet.
Therefore BrickShelf has spoiled the surprises they have in store for us • by
publishing your 2000 catalogue.

Hi Huw,

Hey, just so there's no hard feelings, let me just say that I find you to
be a valuable part of the AFOL community and my opinion of you has not been
lowered one iota.  You are a top notch Lego dealer and enthusiast in my
mind.

I was one of the ones who brought up this particular angle of the
discussion,
that you mention above.  Frankly, much of this does com down to a lot of
'hair splitting'.  My main goal in bringing up the point about the marketing
of the product was to remind everyone that there's more to these types of
issues and decisions of what "can be published" and what is "fair play" than
legalese and corporate policy.  Basically, what I am saying is that behind
all that, there are real people out there who work their butts off to market
this product -- many of whom love it as much as we do -- and we owe it to
them to respect that.  That's all.  I was not trying to make an example of
you or anyone.  Rather I was just making a point in general.

When the European catalogues appear in a few weeks time containing details
of the Mickey and dino set, will posters of those images be slated for
'spoiling your surprise' and going against LEGO US's wishes? I expect • it'll
be different then.

I'd say that the difference here is that this is consumer level media we
are talking about.  Yes, consumer media from one country may in fact be, in
effect, "a sneak peak" at what's to come, for another country.  But I'd say
that it's up to marketing folks at TLC to take these things into account
(just as any international company must) and plan accordingly.

The sets they truly don't want us to know about, like the new Mindstorms
sets and the Kids set 'The Intelligent brick' (and in 1998, Cybermaster) • are
not even illustrated in the retailer's catalogue.

True enough, and an excellent point.