 General / 11696
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:26:33 GMT

To Brad Justus and all at LEGO Direct,

Greetings!

It is terrific that LEGO wants to deal directly with
customers and to discover what they want.

From the early responses it ought to be pretty clear what
the "Top Ten" list should look like (bulk order) so I'm
(ancient theme) going to let those alone (Town Sr.) Just
consider it all to be seconded (more trains.)

Now, what I would like to ask from LEGO:

1. Better books. I grew up in the 80s with the Idea Books
like 6000 (which first introduced Space and Castle to the
Town system.) Looking over this one recently for some tips,
I realized that most everything in there was made with parts
you could expect to obtain from common sets. Today with the
DK books (I have the Ultimate Lego Book) this is not true
(yet?) Maybe you could make the rare parts available, but
better to put out more balanced books.

2. Bigger and varied Freestyle sets. The 25th Anniversary
buckets were a pretty good mix and I would still buy those
Freestyle assortments if they were offered. (Cardboard boxes
would be fine in place of buckets and tubs.) However, I want
you to rotate the selection of colors of things like doors
and windows and roof bricks and plates. Too much red! This
year's Classic sets are refreshing and full of little
changes, but they have low piece counts, and are very hard
to find in stores. The 4288 red bucket is good by itself
(4222 is better) but it is monotone and not big enough. Just
so you know, of the buckets and tubs issued in 1995-1998, I
bought about 40,000 bricks (chiefly 4128 and 3026/3027.)

I can't resist pointing out that Apple has done very well
with selling colored computers--how about delivering the
Classic Bucket simultaneously in five different color
schemes?

I think I'll end with that. Here's to an exciting five
years!

Erik Olson AFOL, NY