 General / 11684
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:34:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, "Brad Justus" <legodirect@lego.com> writes:
To LEGO enthusiasts everywhere:

We hope that we are the bearer of some holiday cheer for you all. For those of
you who have felt that your love for LEGO was unrequited, this is a new day.
With this missive, the LEGO Company asks to open a dialogue with you, our
consumers. Whether you are an AFOL, or a parent purchasing a first DUPLO set,
or a KABOB (Kid with a Bunch of Bricks – we just made that up), here are some
words that should gladden your hearts: We are listening. And more than that,
we will endeavor to be very responsive to your needs and desires.  We want to
have the best possible relationships with all of you who want to have a
relationship with us. That is what LEGO Direct – our new direct-to-you
communications and commerce channel (which I am heading) is all about. LEGO
Direct embraces all the company’s direct-to-consumer efforts on a global
basis, both on- and off-line: Shop@Home, our Internet presence(s), e-commerce,
LEGO clubs worldwide, community building activities, and more.

In creating this new enterprise for the company, we take one more step towards
reaching our strategic intent: we want to be the strongest brand in the world
amongst families by the year 2005. It’s a very bold goal, and one that we
believe we can reach – but only if we are capable of listening and responding
to the people who buy our products. You. Hence the creation of LEGO Direct.

Brad and colleagues at LEGO Direct:

Wow!  8^)  Not sure where to begin...

Reading through the flood of positive responses, it seems that with one
single post you have given hope to thousands of adult LEGO enthusiasts
online and to tens of thousands more down the road who will someday look
back upon this moment with much rejoicing.  Your widely-scoped post is the
olive branch we have all hoped for so long would someday come.

Once again, Yes!! welcome to our little corner of the world!  Take off your
coat, stay awhile -- and if we had some virtual hot mulled apple cider, I'd
offer that too.  :-)

Don't worry too much about tracking any mud in.  As I'm sure you've already
discovered, things can get a little crazy or crass here at times.  But by
and large, I think you and your colleagues will feel comfortable having
dialogues with a surprisingly enthusiastic, creative, mature, and well-
intentioned crowd.  I sincerely believe there exists no other group of
enthusiasts so truly devoted to a product and brand.

As a first step, we at LEGO Direct want to participate actively in these
newsgroups from now on – that is, if such participation is something that you
want. Please realize that it will take some months for all our new efforts to
be fully visible – we will be redesigning our entire Web operation (as well as
our offline direct services), and intend to have the first release ready for
you by late next Summer. But here’s a little preview that we think you’ll
like: we are planning to make bulk ordering – albeit initially in a restricted
format – available by then.

Wicked excellent!  I've been running parts auctions for more than 5 years to
obtain certain parts in quantities, so even a "restricted format" sounds
like a delicious entrée to me.  :-)

We are right now in the process of establishing new office space in New York
and expanding the LEGO Direct staff. It will take a little time, so please
understand that we’re not yet able to handle a deluge of incoming e-mail – but
we’ll be happy to engage in a dialogue with you in these forums. We will do
our very best to respond to everything that we can in a timely manner. We want
to be a company with whom you want to be involved. We want to be the company
you’d like us to be. And to do that, we need your input. What do you love?
What do you hate? How can  we help you? Tell us – we want your input. We know
you’ve got a lot to say – we’ve been reading your postings for a little while
now. We are very encouraged by the commitment and intensity of the LEGO
community online – and that includes AFOLs. Perhaps, if traffic warrants it,
we ought to consider creating a new newsgroup (or simply reformat lugnet.dear-
lego) to serve as the online communication-to-LEGO channel. It’s up to you.

Reformatting lugnet.dear-lego (by retroactively altering its charter) sounds
like a great idea to me (and to Suzanne).  Anyone have any objections to
that?

I like the idea especially for the following reasons:

1.  If people at Lego Direct are planning to read and participate actively
    in at least one of the groups here, then lugnet.dear-lego is just as
    good as any, IMHO.

2.  If a group named something else were created, then lugnet.dear-lego
    would probably still end up being used a lot of the time anyway by
    people, since it's an inviting name and a top-level group.

3.  Since lugnet.dear-lego is a top-level group, it is perfectly positioned
    for additional subgroups later...if, when, and as appropriate.

4.  Any additional focused subgroups of lugnet.dear-lego created down the
    road would each be subscribeable via e-mail (as mailing lists) just like
    any other lugnet newsgroup, which could be nice for people at Lego
    Direct if the volume of traffic in the main .dear-lego group is high.

We cannot tell you how excited we are to be working with you all. We hope you
are equally encouraged by the renewed commitment we are making to you. We look
forward to a very rewarding collaboration.

Encouraged indeed!

--Todd Lehman, co-founder & co-admin, LUGNET