 General / 10254
Re: povray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:12:47 GMT

I haven't released the source yet because it's not ready for prime time.
I will release the source under GPL when I feel it's ready.  (part of my
hesitation has to do with CGI security concerns).

Actually, if someone who knows C and has a real fast server (CPU, not
bandwidth) wants to take over the project, I'd love to hand it off.
I really don't have the time to develop it right now.

KL

In lugnet.cad.ray, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Kevin Loch" <kloch@opnsys.com> writes:

There is a need to eliminate the time taken by parsing so real-time
rendering systems like the Dat Explorer can work on large pov files.

I don't know anything about saving the data structure to disk.  However,
I think that the reason for the parser to take som much time and memory
on L3P'd scenes is that the format L3P generates is not best suited for
POV-Ray.

I think there would be much time and memory to be saved if the parts had
been made individually "by hand" especially for the POV-Ray format.
Perhaps someone who have used Lutz Uhlman's L2P library can compare the
parsing time and memory requirement of a scene converted with L2P and
L3P, respectively?  If the difference is significant, using the L2P
parts library where possible may be a good idea?  (Although this will
involve a great deal of work, I'm sure.)

BTW, Kevin Loch: Have you released the source for the Dat Explorer
application?  I was thinking of employing a similar mechanism for an
upcoming model, and had the idea that borrowing some code from you might
make my work a bit easier.

Fredrik