 Gaming / Starship / 247
Re: Rules Talk: what's final on JumpShips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:50:20 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
I was just browsing some old messages and came across the Rules Talk for
JumpShips.  Ferries and Carriers and stuff.  I was wondering if we ever came > up with anything final on that.

You would be refering to the thread that started
here:http://news.lugnet.com/gaming/starship/?n=89

After much discussion and some variant ideas off those I mentioned initially, we
pretty much concluded the following:

JUMPSHIPS:

There will be two types of JumpShips, each type is equiped with a device that
taps into the ancient and mysterious technology used by the JumpGate sectors (or
perhaps some other technology that the player's IC history includes but that
will function the same as a JumpShip for purposes of game mechanics).  The two
types will be aptly named Full JumpShips and Medium JumpShips.  (There is no
need to designate a Light version, as it would effectively function in game as a
ship with HQ normal propulsion.)

•Full JumpShips:  A Full JumpShip is a ship that can create its own temporary
JumpGate anywhere outside of an active sector (or even in an active sector given
SM's permission) and then traverse JumpSpace to any other non-active sector in
the galaxy.  The total transport time for a Full JumpShip (including charging of
engines, etc.) is 1 Week (i.e. one turn).  A Full JumpShip costs the player one
extra slot of HQ propulsion.  This is in addition to the ship's normal
attribute.  For example, if a ship is normally said to be MQ for propulsion, but
they also have a Full JumpDrive, then the ship takes up one HQ and one MQ for
that player's propulsion limits.  If the ship is originally HQ when not jumping,
it will take up two HQ slots.  All JumpShips must be registered with a non-jump
rating for propulsion.  To add JumpAbility, please indicate such during
registration.

•Medium JumpShips: A Medium JumpShip is a ship that can create its own temporary
JumpGate anywhere outside of an active sector (or even in an active sector given
SM's permission) and then traverse JumpSpace to any other non-active sector in
the galaxy.  The total transport time for a Medium JumpShip (including charging
of engines, etc.) is 3 Weeks (i.e. three turns).  As an alternative, a Medium
JumpShip may reduce its travel time to 1 Week if, when initiating the jump, it
uses an existing JumpGate as either an entry or exit point from the jump.  A
Medium JumpShip costs the player one extra slot of MQ propulsion.  This is in
addition to the ship's normal attribute.  For example, if a ship is normally
said to be HQ for propulsion, but they also have a Medium JumpDrive, then the
ship takes up one HQ and one MQ for that player's propulsion limits.  If the
ship is originally MQ when not jumping, it will take up two MQ slots.  All
JumpShips must be registered with a non-jump rating for propulsion.  To add
JumpAbility, please indicate such during registration.

•Risks: There are inherent risks in travelling through JumpSpace that are less
predictable than those of normal space.  Thus, the GM has authority to offer
random events that may impact any vessel that is jumping.  Not every jump will
result in an event, but there will always be the possibility.  Some such events
may be good, bad, or downright ugly for the ship involved, depending on the whim
of the GM.

FERRIES (Ships that carry or tow Ships (not carriers, which carry Craft)

The opinions on Ferries were split.  David has one in-game already so he would
likely vote to include them in some way.  Andrew seemed to like the idea of
Ferries, and I also favor including them provided some limits and failsafes can
be introduced.  Zac, Lindsay, and Richard indicated they would rather scrap the
concept of Ferries altogether, especially Ferries that also are JumpShips.

I am now thinking that the best way to mediate Ferries that are also JumpShips
is to simply place a limit on how many other Ships they can carry.  I believe
someone mentioned the idea of having carrying capacity costing slots the same
way that JumpShips do.  In-game, this could be explained easily enough.  A Ferry
that can carry several Ships certainly is not likely to be able to move quickly
nor defensively when in normal space.  And OOC, this would indicate the high
cost of such vessels.  I propose the following:

•Full Ferries:  A Full Ferry is a Player Ship that is capable of carrying up to
three other Player Ships.  Even when laden, a Full Ferry can move at its fastest
speed, and if equiped as a JumpShip may jump as normal.  A Full Ferry costs the
player one additional HQ slot in propulsion.  (So a Full Ferry Full JumpShip
with HQ normal Propulsion would take up 3 slots of HQ Propulsion!)

•Medium Ferries:  A Medium Ferry is a Player Ship that is capable of carrying
only one other Player Ship.  Even when laden, a Medium Ferry can move at its
fastest speed, and if equiped as a JumpShip may jump as normal.  A Medium Ferry
costs the player one additional MQ slot in propulsion.

•Tugs and Towing:  A Tug is a ship designed to tow another ship or large objects
(either by physical line or by tractor beam).  When towing, a Tug may not use
any JumpDrive or enter a JumpGate, and it may not achieve better than Medium
Speed if it has HQ Propulsion or better than Low Speed if it has MQ Propulsion.
A Tug does not cost any slots of HQ or MQ, nor does a ship need to be registered
as a Tug to be used as one.  But whenever a ship attempts to tow another between
sectors, these rules apply.

What does everyone think about these Ferry and Tug rules?  Are they still
unbalanced?  Can they be used?  I was also thinking that instead of impacting
Propulsion, perhaps Ferries might cost against Defenses (Armor/Shields).  I
dunno.

Are we in agreement about the JumpShip rules listed above?

Don't forget, Starship is by the players and for the players, so every opinion
is worth sharing!

-GM Hendo