 Gaming / BrikWars / 185
184  |  186
Subject:
JumpGate Game Day Recollections
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:55:13 GMT

NELUG participated in a games weekend in New Hampshire (see Todd's groovy
videos). We ran two BrikWars games in four hour slots and it was a total blast
if I'm remembering correctly - I supposed I could have hit my head and only
*think* I had a great time...

The first game was mainly run by Shaun Sullivan. It was a TL2 game (medieval)
called "It's Takes A Pillage..."

For the most part I'll leave it up to him to relate the experience. I had a lot
of fun, even if I was paired up with one of the two kids who joined the game.
This kid was probably 7 or 9 at the most, but he was very well behaved. And,
except for the down time between turns (when he kept asking if it was our turn),
he was excited and gun-ho to destroy the enemy. Heck, he had to keep reminding
me that we had a unit searching one of the houses—I would have forgotten if it
wasn't for him.

I have to say that I particularly dug the gold system and being able to loot
enemy corpses was just dandy.  BTW, I have no pics of Mike's troll. Odd, because
I thought I had a few (overall, I thought I had more pics than I ended up with,
so if you've got images, post em!).

I have to say this was the best TL2 Game I've ever played. I would love to try
it again.

You were right. Slaughtering Jonathan *was* fun. :D
---

The second game was the "Sanford & Son and the Tox Uthat," a TL6 game that took
place on a derelict spacecraft. Identically armed squads entering the back of
the ship in search of the Tox Uthat (it doesn't matter what it is, they just
needed to find it –You can see the intro text at the bottom). Make their way to
the bridge and get the Uthat and then get out. It was a modular game, and we had
about 10 modules for players to search through that made up the ship.

In each module there were containers that could be searched to yield new weapons
like Siege Pistols or useless items, like Space Twinkies. I used a d100 chart
(2d10) to make container contents random.  Amazingly, both the Siege Pistol and
the Siege Rifle, two of the most powerful weapons in the game, were actually
found and pretty early too. One of the non-NELUG players, James, managed to find
just about every useless item on the list. It was pretty funny (although Joe
found the hairnets. That only would have been funnier if Shaun had found
them...).

I even added a hover security bot as a controllable item as well , with a
separate Remote Control Pad that I had hoped would have been found by the
opposing team giving them control over the bot causing much chaos. But alas it
was not to be. The unit in charge of the bot simply got killed and Andrea the
HoverSexBot, just hung around like yesterday's garbage .

Into this mix we added Jorge's aliens and they were pretty neat. I know they ate
two guys, I'm not sure what other damage they may have done. They scurried about
and generally showed up at the worst times for the players.

Most of my own squad got wiped out by Dan Boger's use of the aforementioned
siege weapons. Three guys were pretty much vaporized in what was actually a
miss. But 2d10 explosive damage in a confined space is nuts. You just don't miss
when you dole it out like that. My last, surviving man decided to withdraw and
hide in a corner weeping for the rest of the game.

The cargo bay, in the center, was really the main battleground. There was tons
of action in the center room that had lots of crates and a service mech as well.
Being in the center and having access to just about every other part of the
ship, I think only Joe's squad didn't bother going near that hellhole. That's
where my guys bought it, in a vain attempt to reach the transporter device.

Off the cargo bay was a Transmatter Device room that had some wacky rules to
it's use. Wayne (no, the other one) managed to get a guy in there and teleported
to the bridge. Of course his weapon and clothes didn't make it, so he had a nude
minifig running around up there.

Which is a tad better than having your weapons arrive without you.

I had put a turn limit of 10 turns on this game almost as a gag. I mean, *no*
BrikWars game ever goes 10 turns, right? Well, I think this one went 11 or 12,
well after the ship should have been vaporized! But it wasn't really worth it to
just stop the game because of some silly rule. In the end, two teams made it to
the bridge, but the aliens were there too. The Uthat was retrieved, but we were
getting really pressed for time. Most of the other gamers had cleaned up and
headed out, so we just called a winner at that point and had the ship vaporized
by the sun.

A Pyrrhic victory to be sure.

---

If you're really interested, I have a PDF file of the handout I had at the game.
It contains just about everything from the game; background info, aliens (sans
actual stats), maps, d100 chart, even a lame BrikWars primer. It's at the bottom
of this folder:

My Entire JumpGate BrickShelf Folder:

-Evil Wayne

------
Sanford & Son and the Tox Uthat (The TL6 Game Background Flavah Text):

Salvage is a tough business.

You spend most of your time trolling through other people’s trash and refuse in
search of that one big score. Tales spun at local starports of the team that
stumbled across a cache of secret gold hidden in a derelict’s burnt out reactor
core haunt everyone’s dreams. Sure they’ve been bathed in lethal radiation, but
they’re rich!

If only you could be part of something sweet. Something big. You’re only hope?
Sign on with some of the more “colorful” deep-space salvage teams. That puts you
at the outer rim and where the action is!
Apparently, the “action” includes a lot of cleansing of the refuse-containment
ductwork. Blech!
Then along comes a datachip and your chance to shine. How your captain got it,
is really unimportant (and frankly, better for your health if you don’t ask),
but it tells of the Tox Uthat, a marvelously secret thing that must be
possessed. What, exactly, the Tox Uthat *is* remains somewhat of a mystery. Is
it an animal? A virus? A killer recipe for egg nog? A solar inhibitor?

Stop asking question, maggot! Say, how’s the refuse-inductor work coming?

Regardless, this Tox Uthat has apparently been located on a derelict vessel, the
old Sanford & Son scow, out on the fringes of space; out past the Great Nebula
of Evil Gasses™. You know, the one where all those aliens that eat your face off
live? Well, it seems that said derelict has finally drifted just out of their
territory and that makes it *just* safe enough for you to be dispatched to it
with some reasonable percentage of survival (hey, 0.002% is still a percentage).

You and your team are going to take a shuttle and hustle your buns out there.
The datachip indicated that the Uthat is stored on the bridge and requires two
people to push two separate, but distant buttons at the same time in order to
release it. From the fuzzy images, it appears that you’ll have to dock at the
rear of the ship and make your way forward. You should also note that it’s an
old style cargo ship. They used to employ a transmatter device to pick up cargo.
Sometimes those things can be sort of tricky, so if you stumble across it, you
might watch your step because they apparently never run out of power.

You should probably bring some armament. The “source” of the datachip seemed a
bit shady, if you know what I mean. If there are other interested parties, you
should probably be ready to deal with them.

Oh, and don’t take too long, the derelict is on a collision course with a nearby
sun.

------